Warwickshire results arrived by post this morning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sosalou

Re: Warwickshire results arrived by post this morning

Post by Sosalou »

Hi all!
Please can somebody help? We are from outer east area and I just cannot work out what my DD's chances are. Her ranking makes me think she is ok for RHS but her score makes me think she is borderline because I don't understand how the priority areas works. Her score was 219, which compared to previous years seems to make her borderline. I know that only March will give any definites but I've got DD2 in the wings for 2015 entry. I didn't start work with DD1 until July but having now been through the process once I realise that was a little on the late side. Also DD1 and DD2 are very different. So if anyone could give me an indicator of what they think DD's chances at RHS are with a score of 219 I would be most grateful.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

It doesn't seem right that they can suddenly change the weighting with no notification...I'm pretty sure that the website was still saying the old weighting when the test was taken...
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

JamesDean wrote:
Fatnorville wrote:He got 220 today (good enough for LSS which is why we started this journey) and 233 yesterday with Bham.

Glad this is all over. Phew.

I've had a few glasses of wine and have 70's rock music blaring out. Been spending a bit of time on the Bexley forum looking for the opportunity to start a fight, but to no avail.

However the night is still young and there is more wine in the chiller....
Great news - so pleased for you and DS :) I am still in shock - still expecting the real results to arrive tomorrow! Large g&ts have been consumed, which are helping.

Now leave Bexley alone - Brum Mum and I don't want to have to come over and rescue you :lol:

JD
Sorry guys - I had a difficult day yesterday and had gone to bed. I hope you managed the rescue mission JD? :D
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sorry to ask, but with a Score of 220 and rank 158 out of boys south - Is it ok to hope we'd be ok for AGS but would be waiting list for KES..??

I've had a good read of the posts but I'm struggling to get my head around it! :roll:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

CovGrad wrote:None of us knew that until yesterday. Personally not good news - both my boys are much stronger on maths/nonverbal than on the verbal side so it doesn't bode well for ds2 in 4 year's time that the weighting of those has been reduced. Still at least we have plenty of time to prepare (meaning word games etc, not papers!)
Personally I think Okanagan's children should be given places whatever for all the support and help and number crunching. just sayin'!!! :D :D
CovGrad

Post by CovGrad »

Okanagan wrote:None of us knew that until yesterday.
Sorry Okanagan, I didn't mean to imply that anyone had known about the change to weightings - I think it was a huge shock to us all.

It would have been good if the LA could have informed us of the change - if only to avoid the heart stopping moments some will have experienced on finding that the standardised score given was NOWHERE near what that had been working towards, given all prior information.
Leaves you wondering if it is yet another tactic to add to the alleged stance that CEM papers can not be prepared for?!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Brum Mum wrote:Sorry to ask, but with a Score of 220 and rank 158 out of boys south - Is it ok to hope we'd be ok for AGS but would be waiting list for KES..??

I've had a good read of the posts but I'm struggling to get my head around it! :roll:
For what its worth, Brum Mum and I'm not Okanagan (!), I think he'd be ok for Alcester. What's his ranking for all S Warks children? Take out those for KES and Shottery and you should have a ranking for AGS. Sorry, that's not perfect - its so confusing - and I have no clue about waiting lists!

At the end of the day 220 is a brilliant score, its just unfair that with KES's low PAN S Warks boys are disadvantaged with grammar places :(

JD
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

CovGrad wrote:Leaves you wondering if it is yet another tactic to add to the alleged stance that CEM papers can not be prepared for?!
Agreed, CovGrad, that's exactly what I thought! Constant shifting of the goalposts to keep us on our toes ... I have been very cynical of the the whole 11+ process thinking that masses of tutoring is the only way to get a grammar place. DS's result has restored my faith (slightly).

JD
jmc

Post by jmc »

Just out of interest JamesDean, was your DS tutored by you or a "professional" tutor? My DD achieved the same score as I think your DS did, 252 (feels great doesn't it!), and we tutored at home, my DH covering numeracy and myself the NVR and english/VR. We were in the minority in my DD's class, most hired tutors. Despite many times thinking I might be letting her down by going "DIY", I think it made us look into the whole thing a bit more, "lurking" in the forum enough to get some great tips and encouragement.

Ginx - I will certainly be part of the Warwks forum over the next year...we start going through it all again for our DS now in year 5!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

jmc wrote:Just out of interest JamesDean, was your DS tutored by you or a "professional" tutor?
No, nothing except for me and the wonderful advice on here! We started at the end of June, after the KES open morning, and went on holiday twice over the summer ...

I'm beginning to have a little more faith that if your child has good (above average) levels at school, then the 11+ will find them out without the need for years of prep / tutoring. Reading, I think, is very important. DS is now telling me more of the content of the exam (was afraid to ask before!) and I will certainly pass the info onto Okanagan for future parents.

And well done to your DS too, JMC :)

JD
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now