Raw Scores and Remark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bobmumof3

Raw Scores and Remark

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Morning all.

We were really shocked by ds results (we haven't received the raw scores yet)
He was VR 141, NVR 141 but Maths was 124. We just can't understand how he could drop like that. Maths was his strongest one by a mile, always scoring well over 90%. He came out confident saying he didn't think he had got anything wrong etc.
I know on the day you just can't tell, but could it be it didn't mark the sheet correctly? Can I get it checked or is it too late?
We are totally flumoxed tbh! Any advice, greatly received.
salsa

Raw Scores and Remark

Post by salsa »

Bobmumof3 wrote:Morning all.

We were really shocked by ds results (we haven't received the raw scores yet)
He was VR 141, NVR 141 but Maths was 124. We just can't understand how he could drop like that. Maths was his strongest one by a mile, always scoring well over 90%. He came out confident saying he didn't think he had got anything wrong etc.
I know on the day you just can't tell, but could it be it didn't mark the sheet correctly? Can I get it checked or is it too late?
It seems that not only was the Maths test harder this year, but you needed to get more questions correct to get 141. Make sure you ask them not only your son's raw scores, but what the minimum scores would have been for a child his age. It would be very helpful if you could put the minimum raw scores for a child his age on here. How old was he at the time?
Bobmumof3

Can you get papers checked?

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Hi there.

Just wondering if you can request that a paper is remarked? We are at a loss as to our ds maths score. Maximum in NVR & VR but 124 in maths. Weirdly his best paper ways achieved over 90% in practice papers.
I assume 124 is around 60%? We have requested raw scores so we'll know that soon.

Could it be he didn't mark the grid firmly enough? Or displaced his answers by one?

Is it even possible to ever know that?

If he for example was goi g great guns and getting all questions correct up to a certain point but then suddenly it went downhill I would suspect he displaced his answers by one.

I know he has passed and that is a wonderful achievement, but he has his heart set on The Judd. So we feel we need to understand where this mark came from?
He came out buzzing saying maths was the best ever and he felt he was close to 100%, so it's so weird ( he wasn't as confident with VR where he ran out of time and guessed the last 4!)

Any advice or help would be truly appreciated ***
twinkles

Re: Raw Scores 2013

Post by twinkles »

You can ask to view his papers and if KCC agree, they will remark it before you see them.
Bobmumof3

Re: Raw Scores 2013

Post by Bobmumof3 »

He was 10 & 6 months.
I have asked for the standardisation thresholds too. I'll let you know if they give them to me.
If re marked do they look for a pattern such as a sudden downhill trend which would indicate a displacement scenario?
twinkles

Re: Can you get papers checked?

Post by twinkles »

I've answered this under the Raw Scores thread.

Bobmumof3 it might be better if you start your own thread in the appeals section so that all your questions are kept in one place, making it easier for everyone to see all the facts in one thread and give you the appropriate advice :)

Threads have been merged - Moderator
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Thanks twinkles, will do! :D
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

I have pm'd you.
TestingTimes

Re: Raw Scores and Remark

Post by TestingTimes »

Bobmumof3, I know at least 6 children who are in exactly the same position, they were all scoring over 90% in practice papers. There seems to be something a little odd about this years results and it's made me wonder if something has changed in the way the scores have been standardised.
Bobmumof3

Query about remark of a paper/appeal

Post by Bobmumof3 »

We were really shocked by ds results (we haven't received the raw scores yet) in the Kent 11+

He was VR 141, NVR 141 but Maths was only 124. We just can't understand how he could drop like that. Maths was his strongest one by a mile, always scoring well over 90%. He came out confident saying he didn't think he had got anything wrong etc.

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now