Sutton Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

knotmum

Sutton Girls?

Post by knotmum »

Hi, I wondered if anyone has put Sutton down as a first choice? I've seen lots if posts about CH and Handsworth, but not Sutton. My DD set her heart on Sutton girls, worked hard and has done well enough to be fairly confident of gaining a place. But now she's having a bit of a wobble. Only 4 girls from her school sat the test and at least 2 of them have said they are not going there. (We don't know how the other gitl did yet) She would be travelling by train and already knows girls further up the school. However, I think she's starting to realise it would mean leaving her friends and is worried about being alone. I know she will do well there and will make friends, but I wondered if any other forum users have chosen Sutton, so I could offer her more concrete reassurance.
goodmanj

Re: Sutton Girls?

Post by goodmanj »

I have also noticed that there are hardly any posts regarding Sutton Girls.
Is it simply because parents prefer a KE education for their child? Or is it due to location?
We too would very much like our Daughter to go to Sutton, it is the nearest grammar to us. However, our DD's score is borderline, she got 215 exactly the same as last years lowest entry, so we are really unsure.
I'm also intrigued as to feedback for the Walsall & B'ham tests. DD got 348 in Walsall, but only 215 for Brum. Did many children find the B'ham exam harder, or is it a different style of testing?
I also think it helped hugely that the QM test was in July, during term time when her head was still working! Brum came very shortly after starting the new year & for our dd very shortly after a long summer holiday with her Grandparents. We are just intrigued as to how she got way above the marks for QM, but borderline for Brum. There are probably no answers at all & we are over analysing & thinking about this too much!
indigop

Post by indigop »

My dd is the same. A low score in Birmingham but a fairly decent cushion above laat years pass in Walsall.

Lots of children from my daughters class are aiming for sutton. It's our closest grammar.
Salander

Post by Salander »

Sutton Girls is within walking distance to us but my daughter just felt her preference lies with Handsworth.
I have a feeling 215 will be fine this year for Sutton Girls, with the possibility of extra places at Handsworth.
knotmum

Post by knotmum »

I think the weighting of maths to verbal is different in the Walsall and Birmingham exams and that together with the timing of July vs Sept can have an impact on scores. I must admit we didn't look at other Birmingham schools as the travelling would be more of an issue. We live out of area but she can get a direct train for Sutton Girls.

We sat for Walsall but the travel would be very difficult and in the end DD preferred Sutton.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

lots of friends and colleagues have daughters at Sutton Grammar; fantastic school producing well rounded studnets with excellent results to boot.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

SCGS is a great school.

There are just obviously more people living in Brum than Sutton, so the KE schools become the obvious choice
UmSusu
um

Post by um »

Everyone I know who has had a dd at Sutton Coldfield Girls has been very happy with it.
zha

Post by zha »

I have two daughters in SCGSG; both love it. It is an excellent school with children from all over the city coming to it. It has a friendly, cozy atmosphere and academic standards are excellent.
Cookiemonster

Post by Cookiemonster »

Hello i am new to this forum, and whilst searching for some answers i came across this thread which is very relevant to our DD's predicament. Some of the above posts reflect our discussions and thoughts over the last two days.

We too live within walking distance of SCGSG but our DD would prefers KEHW. Like others were wondering why there appears to be a lack of interest in Sutton girls. Goodmanj's post is eerily similar to our situation. DD's score for QM Walsall was 349 and for Brum was 222 which was very much a surprise and DD was extremely disappointed with this, as QM was a backup and we plus her tutor were expecting a more comfortable result. We too have been very intrigued by this, and have spent the last two days trying to analyse this. 'Goodmanj we know how you feeling :) like you probably thinking about this too much! :? More so because we have DD2 waiting in the wings for her chance in the next couple of years.

Any thoughts on our DD's chance of gaining entry to her choice of KEHW? Also is it worth the extra travel time to KEHW when we have SCGSG on our doorstep which was our initial first choice. In terms of both schools we have been told that this is a very tight score especially given that some schools lowest entry scores increase by a few points last year!! Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now