Advice needed please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Silver29

Advice needed please!

Post by Silver29 »

My daughter will be taking the 11+ in 7 weeks. I would really appreciate any tips on what papers I should be doing now, and how much? I know a few of the regular Essex posters also home tutored their children and I would really benefit from your expertise.

Post by Guest »

Tip - Make sure your daughter doesn't spend too long on a question if its only worth 1 point, move on and spend more time answering a question thats worth say 5 points.

The English paper normally has a question at the end thats worth loads of points, and I have heard so many girls say they ran out of time so didn't do the last page. So, make sure she remembers to do the last question (the one where you have to insert all the missing punctuation marks, as thats worth lots of points).

Tell your daugher that yes the English paper could be really hard and maybe she wont completely understand it all, but just to try her best, they normally give the English paper first.
Once the English paper is done, tell her not to think about it anymore, to move on, I think a lot of the children that sat the last test thought well thats it, I've blown my chances, as the English was so hard.

Plan something lovely to do when the test is over, go out to lunch or something.

Dont forget a watch as there wont always be a clock in sight. And if its allowed take a snack. Make sure she has breakfast in the morning, that will help her concentration levels.

I wish you loads and loads of luck, Im sure she will do very well.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Tip - Make sure your daughter doesn't spend too long on a question if its only worth 1 point, move on and spend more time answering a question thats worth say 5 points.

The English paper normally has a question at the end thats worth loads of points, and I have heard so many girls say they ran out of time so didn't do the last page. So, make sure she remembers to do the last question (the one where you have to insert all the missing punctuation marks, as thats worth lots of points).

Tell your daugher that yes the English paper could be really hard and maybe she wont completely understand it all, but just to try her best, they normally give the English paper first.
Once the English paper is done, tell her not to think about it anymore, to move on, I think a lot of the children that sat the last test thought well thats it, I've blown my chances, as the English was so hard.

Plan something lovely to do when the test is over, go out to lunch or something.

Dont forget a watch as there wont always be a clock in sight. And if its allowed take a snack. Make sure she has breakfast in the morning, that will help her concentration levels.

I wish you loads and loads of luck, Im sure she will do very well.

I agree with the comments above. The English is the first paper they sit, is usually very difficult and can knock their confidence. I told my daughter (who is now in year 8 a Chelmsford C High) to read the extract twice, answer what she could then turn to the back page and do the last portion (which is the grammar correction etc) as she was very good at that. I told her to finish that (as it is worth something like 12 marks) then go back and finish the rest of the paper (I also told her that if she really didn't know the answer, guess, as it was better to put something down if she had time). I also told her that even if the English paper was really difficult and she thought she had not done well to just think to herself that she had 2 more papers to do and to concentrate on doing well on them (plus their nerves are probably less by then!). Good luck!
guest999

Post by guest999 »

I would also agree with all of the above.

When our daughter took the test last year (passed & in WHSG) I told her to go though the VR paper & do all of the questions she was really good at first, than go back & do the others. Also try to complete the paper, as you only get a mark for each question, & some VR questions are easier than others depending on what your child finds easy.

Also make sure she turns over every page as I have heard of children missing two pages due to turning the pages over to quickly.

I also told her that the english might be harder than she is expecting, but once completed move on & don't lose your confidence.

We brought her a bike which was at home waiting of her after the test & then went out to dinner in the evening. This was to say well done you have worked really hard & no matter what the out come we are very proud of you for putting all the effort in your have done your best.

Good luck on the day & even if they are over welmed by the amount of girls taking the test, don't lose heart as most girls do find this rather upsetting, but I think this is more down to nerves than anything else.

mum2007

Post by mum2007 »

guest 999 :cry:

after reading your message i had tears in my eyes as to what you said about saying well done you have worked really hard & no matter what the out come we are very proud of you for putting all the effort in your have done your best.

As i am a single parent my daughter and i have worked hard during the last 6 months.At times seeing the progress my daughter makes really makes me think how much pressure children are going through to get through.

She completed a test for maths chelmsford and only scored 8 questions correcly out og 29. i was deeply upset, i have been teaching her at home myself and can't afford books however have received the papers for chelmsford and currently going through the questions bit by bit.
guest999

Post by guest999 »

Hi Mum 2007

Sorry I didn't mean to upset you, but we thought it was important that she received praise prior to the results coming out, as it is hard work for them & for you to keep them motivated. We never mentioned to her at any stage that there would be a present at the end as it wasn't meant to used as a blackmail tool.

It will be worth all the hard work in the end, our daughter absolutely loves it at school & has settled in really well. We were slightly worried as a lot of private school children passed & she had gone to a state school, we weren't to sure how she would fit in, but no problem at all & has made lots & lots of new friends.

When she passed we just went out for a pizza to celebrate.

I'm sure with a mum like you behind her she will do really well. I did have lots of revision material but unfortunately I threw it all away, if not I could have forwarded the papers onto you. Does the CSSE have any of the passed papers you can buy, I know you can buy last years, might be worth asking. Have you approached her school? as you might be surprised & find they will be really helpful. Another tip a gave her was to go through the maths paper & do all questions she could answer quickly than go back & attempt the rest.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now