Schools and results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Washing

Schools and results

Post by Washing »

I see in some other regions that the child's current primary school are told of the results before the parents. The grammar school or LA still send out the results though. Does anyone know if this is true in Devon and Torbay? Just wondering if the children's current school know if they have passed or failed Colyton and Torquay?

Thanks
GreenGables

Re: Schools and results

Post by GreenGables »

In our school definitely not, the head was asking parents the next morning.
Slightly tangentially to this, does anyone know if headteachers can find out where a child is in the rankings if a child is a B? i noted the info on the results email putting off any parents from trying.. Seems an odd year with fewer As and lots of Bs this year.
Kit

Post by Kit »

This year for the first time a child would have needed to be in the top 120 on each of the three papers to be in category A. In previous years it was top 120 in only VR and Maths with a "pass" grade in English. I suppose that this means it is less likely a child would achieve this for all three meaning fewer children in cat A.

I think this was introduced to try to redress the gender balance- there has been a significant surplus of boys in the last couple of new Yr7 cohorts.

As far as ranking is concerned, I would expect that the primary headteacher is less likely to be told a child's position than a parent, due to subject access/ data protection issues.
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

GreenGables wrote:In our school definitely not, the head was asking parents the next morning.
Slightly tangentially to this, does anyone know if headteachers can find out where a child is in the rankings if a child is a B? i noted the info on the results email putting off any parents from trying.. Seems an odd year with fewer As and lots of Bs this year.
In our school also, definitely not. I emailed our head with my daughter's results since she is also a family friend, so she knew about her, but not about the others till they came into school the next day.

They will not divulge the rankings of the Bs. They have always been clear on this. In the old days, when you used to get a letter in January saying qualifying score, borderzone or no, they didn't tell you the rankings then either, and some years they would say 'more qualifying scores than places available' but still not tell you where you actually were. This system is better for the As but obviously not for the Bs.

We don't really have the data to tell if this is an odd year or not, because we only have last year to compare it to. I think this year's B's are in a better position than last year's - at least, the odds are better.
Washing

Post by Washing »

In Kent the schools are told before the parents and they do know the scores.
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

Washing wrote:In Kent the schools are told before the parents and they do know the scores.
But Devon isn't Kent. In Kent the 11+ is organised by the LEA. In Devon it's organised by the schools themselves. Maybe the Torquay schools will tell the primary schools and maybe they will disclose rankings - Colyton didn't and won't from what they said and from past experience. I suppose they might change their mind given the right circumstances...I don't know about Plymouth.
suchamuddle

Post by suchamuddle »

Our primary school most definitely wasn't told before us last year
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

TGGS letter arrived. :) But we'll be taking the Colyton place. Hope all got the results they wanted. So quiet in this bit of the forum compared to other regions.
clarizard

Post by clarizard »

Guidance letter came in the post this morning and my daughter got yes, yes and yes with TGGS being her first choice so am thrilled with that but wondered what the previous posts about whether a child is an A or a B are about? What is this A or B rank that is mentioned and how do we know?
Sorry if this seems a silly question but could find no information about these rankings elsewhere.
pooplechair

Post by pooplechair »

clarizard wrote:Guidance letter came in the post this morning and my daughter got yes, yes and yes with TGGS being her first choice so am thrilled with that but wondered what the previous posts about whether a child is an A or a B are about? What is this A or B rank that is mentioned and how do we know?
Sorry if this seems a silly question but could find no information about these rankings elsewhere.
A B and C were what Colyton used to categorise the kids who took their test. I guess TGGS uses YES (loved the capital letters! :D ) maybe? And no? I didn't know what the other two they used are since my daughter got Yes yes and yes for the three. Or maybe the boys school uses letters?