Re-use of 11+ papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest1234

Re-use of 11+ papers

Post by Guest1234 »

I have just spoken to the Admissions Service and they have confirmed that the paper on 3 November will be the same as that on 6 October.

The essay subject appears also to be the same over the different testing dates.

If anyone wants to make a comment about this, they should write to:

Warwickshire Admissions Service
Freepost NAT4782
Warwick
CV34 4BR
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I got the following answer from NFER re my questions:

Thank you for your kind comments about our website. I am pleased that you have found it useful. With regard to the questions that you raised about the 11+ here are the answers

1) Regarding age standardisation: Because each exam is individually standardised does this mean that you have a roughly equal number of children from each month "passing"? If so this does not seem fair on children born in, say, April who would normally get in but in one particular year have very strong competition. Is no historical data used at all? The standardisation is based only on the group of children that take the paper. As the age standardisation is based on when the children were born to the nearest completed month all candidates have the same chance of obtaining a place if they score above the pass mark and there is a place available for them. For example if a school has 120 places they will select up to 120 children who are at the top of the scale being used. Historical data is not meaningful in this context since new tests are specially constructed each year.

2) In Warwickshire, some children sat the test in the morning, some in the afternoon and some up to 4 weeks later! Do you use the same papers? If yes, does this not allow room for cheating? I am not aware as to whether Warwickshire uses additional papers for late tested pupils. It is quite common for larger LAs for logistical reasons to test on different days. The tests are kept secure and are not made available to pupils to take home, so it is unlikely that cheating could occur.

I hope that this information helps

Best wishes

Janet

Frankly, NO! I don't think she answered either of my questions; do you?
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I have been reading the first answer for 5 mins now and I still cannot make head or tail of it. :?

My guess is Janet was a politician before she got the job with NFER.

How did you get a response from them though?

I would like to ask:

For instance last year how many more questions did a September birthday have to get right as appose to a August Birthday? Please do not suggest looking at your standardised table on the NFER site, as I have looked and quite frankly it tells me nothing.

AM
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Yep, it's got me stumped. Perhaps I didn't phrase my question in sufficiently simple terms??!!

Re question 2 - I wonder whether they cut out the tongues of children after they sit the exam. If so, they missed my daughter; she told me another answer today. Anyone yet to sit in Warwickshire should pm me as I now have 6 answers for your children!

OK so this is a joke BUT there ARE children in daughter's class yet to sit and she COULD tell them.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sorry, missed your question.

I just sent them an email via their (NFER) website. Good luck!
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

How long did it take to get a reply?
Princess

Post by Princess »

I'll totally agree with you, thats the best piece of skirting around questions I've ever seen. Personally I don't agree with standardisation at all if a child is bright a child is bright no matter when their birthday falls my daughter is october born and to think she will have points knocked off just because she was born in october is hard to comprehend, :shock: my god daughter is born at the end of august and is top in her year but will gain extra points. The score could be a pass then through standardisation a fail? how do they work that out its very frustrating :evil:
All the discussions about having an extra year at school is unfounded, I can't see the benefit of starting reception class learning your ABC's can have on the 11+ tests :?:

Princess
Never say Never !!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

2 days
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Astounding service from NFER's Janet again!! I sent her another email and got this answer within 10 mins!!

Dear *******

I take the point that you make, however here at NFER we are asked to
prepare the tests. The administration of them is down to the schools or
LAs, we can advise but not compel.

I hope that your daughter is successful.

Best wishes

Janet

Still no use to man nor dog - obviously the wrong person to hassle.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Have just sent email to Warwickshire LEA......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now