Any parents put there who is going through what I am???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

Any parents put there who is going through what I am???

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all

My DD didn't pass either grammar school she tried for. My daughter isn't highly academic and probably would have struggled at a grammar school. I'm really proud of her for trying and did very well for her level.

But as you can all imagine I'm worried about her. All I hear on this forum is how everyone's children passed! I'm very pleased for all those children and parents but I just want to know if any parents are going through what I am or any parents out their whose children didn't get into grammar schools but did get into an independent school.

I need some hope!!

Thanks

Roz
2Girlsmum

Re: Any parents put there who is going through what I am???

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I know a girl who didn't get a place then walked into Channings in North London. What kind of scores did your daughter get?
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Hi 2 girl mum,

I don't know much about Channings but realise it's a independent school for girls. But thanks for telling me about it.

My daughter scored 85 for English and 85 for VR for Nonsuch.

Roz
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It sounds like she has a really good chance then. Our back-up school was Highgate, a lovely mixed school with a really nice approach to imaginative learning, an outspoken head who goes out into the local community and organizes classes at various schools around the borough (dd2 spend 4 days at the school in Y4, and had 1-hour maths classes at another school with about 20 other children in Y5 weekly for a whole term). They give 10 full scholarships a year and have a charity week each year. Luckily (sadly?!) she passed both tests so we aren't applying there!
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Hello 2Girlsmum,

Sorry bit confused did you say my daughter's scores are good enough for an independant. Did you mean you daughter passed both grammar school therefore not trying for Highgate?

Thanks
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I think that they are. Competition for the state selective schools around London is fierce, and certainly on the Hertfordshire forum, with includes some of the top performing schools in the league tables, lots of children easily secure places in quite highly sought Independents after failing to secure a place at their chosen Grammar/s. Which schools were you looking at?

My daughter has a place at our 1st choice school where her sister is in Y9, but I love Highgate School, and would have been happy to send her there!
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Wimbledon High and JAGS.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

You should post a new thread, with the name of the schools in the header and ask for info/feedback.
Roz12

Post by Roz12 »

Thanks for your advice. :wink:
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Your daughter still has time for the independent schools. She should get an offer from them. Start working with the independent school maths and English papers. Talk about different topics - politics, general knowledge type of topics, watch documentaries and discuss them to sharpen up interview skills and build up confidence and general articulations of ideas and thoughts.

I know few children who did not pass the state selective exams but with the extra few months work managed to get offers from good independent schools.

Good Luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now