Shottery or AGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Redtulip

Shottery or AGS

Post by Redtulip »

Hi everyone, I have only recently found this forum, wish I'd found it earlier but have gained lots of useful info from reading all your posts.

We are really pleased with my DD's results and I believe they mean she could go to either shottery or AGS. I am struggling with the fact that shottery is all girls but want the best for her.

I Would be really grateful for any opinions about the 2 schools.
Thanks x
magwich2

Re: Shottery or AGS

Post by magwich2 »

Hi Redtulip
I have sent you a PM
BlueStar

Post by BlueStar »

We are in exactly the same boat as you Redtulip. Hopefully lots of people will give their opinion!
Redtulip

Post by Redtulip »

Hi BlueStar, unfortunately it doesn't look like we're going to get many responses. Never thought I'd end up worrying so much about which school to put down. Just want to get it right!! Good luck x
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

They're both good schools, so in your position the big factors would be:
do you want co-ed or single gender?
what are the logistics like - is one easier/quicker to get to than the other?
Redtulip

Post by Redtulip »

Thanks Okanagan you are right they are both great schools and she is lucky to go to either. Guess just want to choose the best fit for her and what she wants to do. X
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Hi Redtulip

I don't have any direct experience (with a DS) but I have friends with children at both who are all happy! Personally, given the choice, I would go AGS as a mixed school. Shottery is a more 'traditional' grammar, but all girls can be a bit overwhelming. However, if your DD doesn't mix well with boys then this could be a positive!

So, as Okanagan says, it really depends on where you feel she would be more comfortable. My DS has a place at KES, but the all boys environment does concern us. Unfortunately, AGS just isn't possible travel-wise - if it was, he'd be there like a shot!

Hope that helps,

JD
Redtulip

Post by Redtulip »

Thanks JD it does help. My daughter says she wants to go to Shottery but she hasn't had a good look round Alcester (have arranged to go this week) She is a tom boy and plays with the boys at school as well as the girls so the single sex thing worries me. Shottery is walkable (long walk) but the bus for Alcester stops near our road.

I am thinking AGS would be best but if she does really prefer Shottery then it makes it tricky. Will see what we feel after our visit this week.
rockyroads

Post by rockyroads »

I think your daughter will thrive at either school. I have friends with children at both and they only have good things to say.

My eldest daughter is at Shottery already and her youngest sister will be joining her next Sept now we know her 11 plus results.

Okanagan's advice is spot on. Think about practicalities as well which school would suit your child. My eldest liked the feel and size of Shottery as she came from a small village school. The journey time to Shottery was also a factor for us, especially when you pick up from late school trips or clubs and Alcester would not have been practical as we live in Warwick.

I was concerned at first about Shottery being single sex but she spends time with the boys on the bus and they share school discos and orchestras with KES.

I am obviously going to be biased as by daughter is happy at Shottery. I think you just have to go with what feels comfortable. I dont think Shottery doesn't do a good job of selling the school when you look around and the facilities at Alcester are much better.

I think whatever you decide, your daughter will do well at either school so good luck.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them.
Tramps13

Post by Tramps13 »

Hi Redtulip

I might be able to help you as I have two daughters at Shottery and one at AGS.
Only you know what kind of environment your child will thrive in, but I can try and give you an idea about both.
Shottery is an academically focussed school with high levels of expectation. The teaching is excellent and it is geared up to your daughter receiving good results regardless of ability.
AGS is ideal for an intelligent, self-motivated person. It is more of an egalitarian environment where individualism is encouraged. Results are fantastic for self-motivated kids.

To be honest, the single-sex versus mixed thing has not come into it for us.

I know that this is a totally subjective view, but I hope it helps.
Whichever you choose, you will not have made the wrong decision. They are both superb schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now