INCREASE PAN=LOWER QS=RING BHAM FOUNDATION OFFICE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

INCREASE PAN=LOWER QS=RING BHAM FOUNDATION OFFICE

Post by Bob1892 »

Increasing PAN (published admissions number) ie intake for the Birmingham grammar schools would make it VERY highly probable that the QS (qualifying score) ie cut-off scores to come down (maybe significantly in some cases). Now that would be absolutely great news for those dc whose scores are hovering precariously around last year's cut-off scores or even the year before that. If we could all ring the foundation office (0121 472 1147) to enquire along the lines on when (& not whether) they are likely to expand PAN then I'm sure it will get the momentum going to push through an expansion and give our dcs a better chance of gaining a GS place in future. I believe a board of governors meeting at the foundation is imminent so a decision will most likely be made in the very near future.
You can call my idea a bit barmy (& the foundation might get inundated with calls - my apologies) but there's method in the madness sometimes.
We personally won't be taking the test till next year but it will give a good number of this year's cohort a fighting chance and for future candidates as well.
Last edited by Bob1892 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AK loving Dad

Re: INCREASE PAN=LOWER QS=RING BHAM FOUNDATION OFFICE

Post by AK loving Dad »

I, for one, will be fully supportive of Bob on this and will be calling the FO tomorrow. Lets make this happen. :)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Bob, do you really think it would make a difference though? In order to expand they need to get permissions granted, funding and extend buildings. CHB is the obvious choice as it only has 93 places a year with 31 :shock: in each class but it is a cramped building as it is and I remember Mike1880 saying that their plans were not approved last year. If they were to still expand, they would need to make room for a full class of 31 - but where would they put them? FW has more space so they are a maybe, but they already have an intake of 150 per year - maybe the new Head there is feeling brave enough to expand? Aston only has about 25 in each class, so maybe them?

If Handsworth does go ahead and have additional places for the girls, then actually we need to get on their backs about equality with boys. Girls already have more places than boys.

I spent most of my life shouting about women's rights: it's rather ironic that I ended up with 4 boys and will now spend my time talking about the inequalities boys face :lol:
UmSusu
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

I think ringing the foundation office will make a difference particularly as they've already indicated that there will be possible increases on the other letter sent out alongside the scores.
What's there to lose if it means that a few extra kids gain a grammar school place? I'm sure there are hundreds of dp that would agree with me.
PS: I've already rung the office 4 or 5 times myself :wink: :lol:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Don't get me wrong, I support what you are saying and they are obviously trying to work things out anyway - so a push to finalise things might be helpful.

I am just a bit of a cynic that's all - As lovely as the staff are, I have never known KEF to actually budge on anything and when they move it is always in their own sweet time (rather like DH) :D
UmSusu
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

The note was included in both the girls and boys letters. A clear indication that boys are also included in their increased PAN? But I guess if its FW that would justify the letter to all.

I'm with umsusu its just not right that girls have more opportunites than boys ....honestly this has nothing to do with the fact that My DCs are boys... Ahem cough..
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There is absolutely no point phoning the Foundation, they don't make decisions like that. All you will do is interfere with them administering this year's results.

It's the heads of the individual schools you need to speak to; I imagine you will be preaching to the converted. But you may at least get some insights into who is planning to expand, how much and when.

Mike
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Better start ringing the individual schools then - I've got plenty of time on my hands. :lol:
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

UmSusu wrote:As lovely as the staff are, I have never known KEF to actually budge on anything and when they move it is always in their own sweet time (rather like DH) :D
Agree with this, even the bit about DH (mine, not UmSusus :wink: ). The staff at KEF have always been helpful and courteous, within the limits of what they are allowed to do/say. Phoning won't affect anything.
mike1880 wrote:There is absolutely no point phoning the Foundation, they don't make decisions like that. All you will do is interfere with them administering this year's results.

It's the heads of the individual schools you need to speak to; I imagine you will be preaching to the converted. But you may at least get some insights into who is planning to expand, how much and when.

Mike
Definitely agree with this. It's a busy enough time of the year for them without everyone thinking it's ok to phone and waste their time, especially when they say an announcement is imminent anyway. It seems very unfair.

Part of the point of this forum is to share information, so only one person should need to phone - I'm guessing Bob1892 - and the information will be what it is. It won't change with another ten, twenty, thirty phone calls or whatever. They have enough anxious parents to deal with :( .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now