School preference query in the application form

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lama

School preference query in the application form

Post by lama »

Hello
Can some one try answering my below complex question please...

Scenario:
School A and B , both being grammar schools and my DD has passed both the schools and her marks are with in the top selection criteria of both the schools.
If I put down school A as my first preference and school B as second, as I like school A more than school B but school B has more chances.
If in case we don't get school A due to some reason then will she still get school B, in case wherein say school B has been opted as first preference by the girls more than the places at school B and they all are eligible.
In such a case, will my daughter still be considered among the School B along with others first preference of school B?

thanks in advance
Snowdaddy

Re: School preference query in the application form

Post by Snowdaddy »

lama wrote:Hello
Can some one try answering my below complex question please...

Scenario:
School A and B , both being grammar schools and my DD has passed both the schools and her marks are with in the top selection criteria of both the schools.
If I put down school A as my first preference and school B as second, as I like school A more than school B but school B has more chances.
If in case we don't get school A due to some reason then will she still get school B, in case wherein say school B has been opted as first preference by the girls more than the places at school B and they all are eligible.
In such a case, will my daughter still be considered among the School B along with others first preference of school B?

thanks in advance
The schools do not know your ranking. If you are eligible for more than one school you will get the highest preference. Any others that you were eligible for with lower preferences will be cancelled and the places allocated to others.

If you don't get your first preference, (not high enough score, or beyond distance cut-off etc) the allocation program will try your next preference, (this repeats if required through all 6 preferences). Eventually (and it is announced March 1st) you get the highest preference you applied for that had spaces and you met the criteria. Some unluckily don't get any of their 6 preferences and just get allocated somewhere with spare places.

Specifically in your example if she gets offered A, and as you have indicated you prefer it to B, B (and the other 4) wont be offered. If you get offered first choice its assumed you will take it up. If you are offered B (your second choice) you can still ask to go on waiting list of A and might get a clearing place if someone else subsequently turns down A. Any schools listed lower than the one offered are cancelled as it is assumed you wanted them less so wouldn't be interested any more. If you didn't get A or B you will get a lower preference (but can go on waiting list for both, in fact you can ask to go on any waiting list, even ones you didn't originally include within your 6)
One_Shot

Post by One_Shot »

The short answer is yes.

if you don't get A, no matter how many girls have put B as first choice, you will be considered in that allocation without regards to the fact that it was not your first choice and other girls preferred it as the first choice.

The simple and easy rule is to put the schools in your right preferred order and you won't go wrong.
lama

Post by lama »

One_Shot wrote:The short answer is yes.

if you don't get A, no matter how many girls have put B as first choice, you will be considered in that allocation without regards to the fact that it was not your first choice and other girls preferred it as the first choice.

The simple and easy rule is to put the schools in your right preferred order and you won't go wrong.
Thanks One_Shot for a nice explanation...