Grammar vs Comp

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bobmumof3

Grammar vs Comp

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I am sitting here deciding on the schools for my ds and the order in which to put them!

We have an amazing comp which had its ofsted in June and achieved a 1 in every criteria. Why then should I send my ds to a Grammar with a 2 or a clutch of 2s indeed?

Thinking getting Grammar stamp isn't what it's all about, but the quality of teaching and hence outstanding progress he will make.

Anyone else with this dilemma?
bondgirl

Re: Grammar vs Comp

Post by bondgirl »

We were in the same position 3 years ago Bobmumof3. DD1 had passed Bexley so she would have got into two of the Bexley grammars but we were also in catchment for an outstanding girls' comp. We went for the comp. It just felt like the right "fit" for her and it was her preference too. She is in all the top sets and we couldn't be happier with her progress plus no long bus journeys etc.

She is year 9 now so we will have to make a decision about sixth form in a couple of years but as her comp gets great A level results, I'm leaning towards her staying where she is. I am sure she will have an opinion though too!

This is purely my opinion, but I suspect the teaching at comps may in some instances be better than the GSs as they have to engage children of all abilities.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I've got a daughter at an outstanding grammar and a daughter one year behind at a very good comp (got a good in their ofsted last term - if it had been this term they would apparently almost certainly have got outstanding because they now have had improvement in GCSE results for 3 years). They're going to end up with similar GCSE results (dd2 is actually determined to beat dd1!), and as far as I can see they are both in schools that fit them well.

You don't need a whole school of high-achieving peers to do well. As long as there are enough to make your lessons interesting and provide some competition (if you are that sort of person!), I think that's ok :-)

I guess you've looked at the more detailed dept of ed performance tables.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I agree with aliportico. If the school is right for your child, and most importantly they are happy, they should do well.
If they go somewhere, where they aren't happy, this will affect their work.
Being in top sets, in a good/outstanding school with parents that are supportive is just as good as being in a grammar, IMHO.

All schools have their good and not so good points. At the end of it, they all (hopefully) end up in universities, which take from all secondary schools, regardless of type. My niece, having missed the 11+ by a few points, went to my local 'Good' school and is happily in her 2nd year of Finance at Nottingham now. :D

And as aliportico advises, taking a look at the dept of ed performance tables, helps. Especially at the VA, this is where the closest information of how the school really performs, lies.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Agree, look at the VA for the schools, % expected progress for the ability groups, GCSE numbers and grades, and % Ebac (those last two give a you a clue about whether either of them is inflating their league table position with fistfuls of exams of dubious quality as opposed to providing a good foundation across a breadth of useful subjects).

There are some very mediocre grammar schools and there are some very good comps.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Thanks everyone. You have confirmed my own beliefs too. Very controversially I have decided not to put St Olaves now. It just isn't right for my ds, teaching and learning is a 2, also VA was only ok.
Our favourite is still The Judd but as ds mucked up the maths ( although asking for a remark) we will put it first. We will have to go to appeal I suspect but you never know.

Then we will put our local fabulous comp which he is guarenteed a place at, as our dd is already there and thriving :-)

Roll on March!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sometimes we get so worked up about which is the best school, we forget to think about which is the right school.
Chester

Post by Chester »

Couldn't agree more. Tinkers, that one line sums up our 11+ journey.
Maria1

Post by Maria1 »

Hi

Can someone post the link to the Department of Education Performance tables.

Many thanks
mystery

Post by mystery »

What is this good comp? Thinking of moving to Bexley or wherever it is!