Did anyone take the Birmingham exam too?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Did anyone take the Birmingham exam too?

Post by Okanagan »

Interesting that this year the weightings in Warwickshire have changed to match the 50% verbal, 25% each NVR and numerical they already have in Birmingham. Did anyone do both? It would be interesting to see how the scores correlated. It has been speculated that the two exams may be merged into one in the future, and the weightings change to align with Birmingham may well be a precursor to that happening.
Fatnorville

Re: Did anyone take the Birmingham exam too?

Post by Fatnorville »

My DS did both.

Still stuck at work and don't know the Warks results yet, but happy to share results later tonight. However I may have drunk far too much red wine to make much sense...
Brum26

Post by Brum26 »

My DD did both and her scores were similar. She got 235 on the Birmingham one and 232 on the Warwickshire one. After the exam she said that she felt she had done better on the Warwickshire one but i still can't quite get my head around whether they are now marked in the same way or not.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Not quite, as far as we can tell. Birmingham get one standardised score verbal and one for numerical plus nonverbal. Warwickshire get one for each, but the numerical and nonverbal are averaged. In theory that could mean a different result for the same set of answers, but it is probably close enough to get a good feel for how they compare.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

DS scores:-

Bham
VR 108
NVR / Maths 125
Total 233

Warks
NVR 120
Numeracy 110
VR 105
Total 220

March birthday
mystery

Post by mystery »

So is the c e m test that gives only 15 per cent to n v r ( bucks or bex slipped my mind which) now the odd one out?

Strange how every test purchaser wants something a bit different in search of the perfect test. You don't go to an educational psychologist and ask them to tweak the way the final score on a psychological test battery is calculated from its sub tests.

It is an art not a science. Another reason to explain to our children why the results are not significant.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Bucks is 20%, Birmingham 25%, Warwickshire 25%, Walsall 33%.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks, and Bexley 15% then. The variation is weird don't you think?
century30

Post by century30 »

Hi,

I am yet another lurker, joined the forum today.
Impressed with all the information on this forum.

My DS took both Birmingham and Warwickshire, scoring 240 and 231 respectively.
I would like to know:
His chances of getting into CHB and LSS (completely out of all priority areas, ranked 124th for all boys).

Many thanks,
C
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

231 would you put you fairly high on the waiting list for LSS - almost certainly above anyone in the priority area, but below any other out of area/late applicants with higher scores.
CHB doesn't have a priority area - so you'd be ok if the score required doesn't rise again as it was 240 last year, but 234 and 232 respectively in the two years before that. There's a chance of more places being made available there this year, which might help to supress the score.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now