Any Rugby (or CV21, CV22, CV23) parents out there fretting?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Preston

Any Rugby (or CV21, CV22, CV23) parents out there fretting?

Post by Preston »

Sorry, but have read though lots of other posts and this forum seems to be dominated by South Warwicks folk :?

In short, does coming 118 out of 344 for Eastern area girls mean my dd is borderline at best? I assume so.

So, please, any parents out there in priority circle one for RHS, aka postcodes above (well, 'most' of CV23) do you know how your child did in comparison with other priority circle one children, as opposed to those who might well live in Coventry, Corby, Hinckley etc. etc. (or, the generic 'Eastern' area).

Any help greatly appreciated. Have been spending today doing a serious financial audit and browsing private school websites... :(
nellywelly

Re: Any Rugby (or CV21, CV22, CV23) parents out there fretti

Post by nellywelly »

I'm afraid the whole Outer/Inner area malarkey for East Warks is a complete mystery to me, and it doesn't help that the scoring changed, so you can't compare with last years marks. I'm not sure about rankings, but there's a table posted on another thread that might be of help, it shows previous years AQS approximately adjusted for this years scoring.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 20#p404328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Preston

Post by Preston »

Thanks nellywelly.

TBH it was a mystery to me until I realised if your postcode starts with CV21, CV22 or CV23 then you are in inner area. Basically, if you can put Rugby on your address without confusing the postman.

I've not read a single post from anyone who 'admits' to living in Rugby....yet!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

118th would be marginal if everyone applies - but every year there are some who don't actually apply (good from your point of view), or who get offers and then choose to go elsewhere (not so good as out of priority people/late applicants might be above you on the waiting list). Last year RHS offered down to a score of 300. With the priority area order changing this year it doesn't look as if whether you are in the inner or outer area is going to make much difference - at least for the girls.
Sosalou

Post by Sosalou »

I'm confused. We're CV23 but we're in outer area??
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The inner area is defined by parish, rather than by postcode:
Rugby plus the parishes of Dunchurch, Thurlaston, Leamington Hastings, Birdingbury, Grandborough, Wolfhamcote, Willoughby, Binley Woods, Brinklow, Brandon and Bretford, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Bubbenhall, Wolston, Church Lawford, Long Lawford, Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Princethorpe, Frankton, Marton, Bourton and Draycote, Churchover, Clifton-on-Dunsmore, Combe Fields, Cosford, Easenhall, Harborough Magna, Kings Newnham, Little Lawford, Monks Kirby, Newton and Biggin, Pailton, Stretton-under-Fosse, Wibtoft, Willey and Withybrook.

If you compare the priority area map with the CV23 postcode area (CV21 and CV22 are the hole in the middle) you'll see that they're not quite the same - CV23 crosses the M1 for example, but the inner priority area doesn't, CV23 doesn't reach as far as Ryton on Dunsmore, but the inner priority area does.
LeeChase

Post by LeeChase »

As said 118th is marginal but well worth applying.

Plus I'm not sure that list of parishes is correct as Cawston Parish certainly appears to be in both eastern areas. Not that it should make much difference this year as those only in the circle have don't have to beat the 1st 60 in the circle.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

I would think you stand a pretty good chance and it is much clearer for those in eastern parishes now,in that if you are in top 120 you must almost certainly be offered a place where as outer ring more variable. For example if all (Unlikely)the top 60 scores were all in inner ring, then you would still be 58th in the remaining places which are for inner and outer ring combined. Where as if you are in outer ring you may be 121st and not get a place because all 120 before you live in inner ring, or could come 240th and get a place because no one in the top 120 lives in inner ring. So I would stay positive and feel it is quite likely your dd will get a place.
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

I would generally agree with the above, however my understanding is the first criteria above all other is that the child needs to meet the AQS and we will not know what that will be until March 1st. We can make educated guesses based on historic precedent, but with the changes with the inner / outer priorities last year (coupled with the unannounced / poorly publicized changes to the weighting of NVR and numeracy compared to VR this year) suggests WCC are adept with tinkering with the admissions rules, which could affect the chances of a child particularly if he / she is on the margins.

I just wish they wouldn't keep moving the goalposts. This is all stressful enough without all of this change.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now