Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
absdubai

Should I appeal?

Post by absdubai »

Hello, Wonder is you could advise. My child missed the pass mark by 4 (score 356). Head teacher and class teacher have said they will support appeal. Scores wer VR - 123, NVR 131, Math 102. I'm really scared that if I go down the appeal route and not successful my daughter will be give up on education... I'm in Maidstone and would welcome some advise on how to proceed..Is there a form I have to complete for an appeal in Maidstone...Please Please Please could you advise. Many thanks in advance.
Etienne

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Best to start with the Q&As - most of your questions will be answered there. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
absdubai

Post by absdubai »

Thank you so much
absdubai

Post by absdubai »

Thank you for the information.. WOW so much to take in. I'm a little confused as to whether I should appeal given the result I shared in my last email.

The only two mitigating reason which I would like to share with you;

1) My daughter was ill leading up to the 11+ exam and is currently been asked by her doctor to submit further blood test for examination. Initial test seem to indicate she has an iron deficiency which may explain her tiredness and flu like symptom over the test period. I can obtain medical letter from the doctor to back this for appeal process.
2) There was a disturbance during the math exam where a child in my daughter class started to cry (may be due to pressure). I believe this may have distracted my daughter and impacted the Maths as it was the first thing she discussed when I saw her after school.

Please advise these are sufficent ground for appeal as it was the Math thats she missed the pass mark on (102) ?

best regards,

A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Extenuating circumstances are dealt with in the Q&As.
1) My daughter was ill leading up to the 11+ exam and is currently been asked by her doctor to submit further blood test for examination. Initial test seem to indicate she has an iron deficiency which may explain her tiredness and flu like symptom over the test period. I can obtain medical letter from the doctor to back this for appeal process.
An appeal panel might want to clarify:
  • a) Was she actually unwell at the time of the test? The usual perception is that, if the child is well enough to attend school, the child is well enough to sit the test.

b) Or has she been a bit below par throughout September/October? It sounds as if this might be the case, as the GP is currently investigating. If this is a long drawn-out situation, what evidence is there that she has under-performed in her routine school work?
    • "Where there is an ongoing problem, or a series of incidents, a panel might reasonably expect some evidence that school work was also affected at the time in question (for example, a dip in performance, or unexpectedly erratic work)."
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) There was a disturbance during the math exam where a child in my daughter class started to cry (may be due to pressure). I believe this may have distracted my daughter and impacted the Maths as it was the first thing she discussed when I saw her after school.
Please advise these are sufficent ground for appeal as it was the Math thats she missed pass mark on?
What matters most is the strength of the academic evidence:
    • "Note that the new Code of Practice which came into force on 1st February 2012 makes no mention at all of extenuating circumstances. This is not necessarily to say that extenuating circumstances might not be discussed at a hearing, but they shouldn’t be the basis of an appeal. The main focus should always be on academic evidence."
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • "The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence."
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
absdubai

Post by absdubai »

Hi Etienne,

Once again thank you so much for your reply and advise.

best regards,

A
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now