Kent Test results 2013: 45 per cent suitable for grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

http://www.yourcanterbury.co.uk/news/ke ... _1_2885260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some 45 per cent of pupils sitting the Kent Test this year passed, county council chiefs have confirmed.

The figure is almost identical to last year.

In total, some 12,064 pupils in Year 6 sat the exam last month, with 5,494 securing the grade to qualify for a selective school place.

Some 27 per cent of that figure - 1,488 - were from applicants outside of Kent.

Parents were sent emails at 4pm on Wednesday notifying them if their child would be suitable for grammar school - with letters sent out later first class today too.

Now parents are being urged to not delay in submitting their choices for secondary school places in what is normally a hard fought race for the most popular schools.

Around 1,000 more students got the required mark for selective places than there are grammar school places. The strain is felt particularly in the west of the county.

All applications must be submitted by October 31.

Thousands of families can name up to four preferred schools. The easiest way to apply is online. Last year the vast majority of families used the http://www.kent.gov.uk/ola" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website to do just that.

KCC cabinet member for education and health reform, Roger Gough, said: “I do appreciate this can be a stressful time for families. If you are still undecided which school to choose, I would suggest visiting your local secondary schools and to also speak with the headteacher at your child’s primary school.

“Finding the right secondary school is a really big decision for every child and family and we want to provide as much help as we can and make the process as straight forward as possible. Details of the secondary schools in Kent and how to apply can be viewed in the ‘Admission to Secondary School in Kent 2014 booklet available on the http://www.kent.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website.”
fatbananas

Re: Kent Test results 2013: 45 per cent suitable for grammar

Post by fatbananas »

Gosh, 27% of the 45% who pass the Kent Test are OOC - I think that's an enormous percentage. How many of those, I wonder, then actually take up places in Kent Grammars.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
salsa

Post by salsa »

According to other posts, last year a total of 5,370 children passed the Kent Test, 4,072 from Kent and 1298 who come from out of county. Only 277 out of county children took up Kent Grammar places.

I would be curious to know how many of the Out of County children were top scorers.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Once again, I do think that where information **** is published here it should be reproduced correctly. The 277 out of county allocations to Kent grammar schools in March 2012 is NOT the number who took up places. There is a lot of movement between March and September. Perhaps you meant to quote the 2013 figures however, which I calculated, after a considerable amount of analysis to be 355. ***
salsa

Post by salsa »

Peter wrote:Once again, I do think that where information **** is published here it should be reproduced correctly.. The 277 out of county allocations to Kent grammar schools in March 2012 is NOT the number who took up places. There is a lot of movement between March and September. Perhaps you meant to quote the 2013 figures however, which I calculated, after a considerable amount of analysis to be 355. ***
Sorry Peter, I was quoting another poster, I'll try to copy it here: I don't know if they were quoting ****
Please note forum rule 6.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ladymuck wrote:Last year a total of 5,370 children passed the Kent Test, 4,072 from Kent and 1298 who come from out of county. Only 277 out of county children took up Kent Grammar places, of which 170 came from Bromley and Bexley to the 4 Dartford grammar schools.

I assume that the reason why the percentage out of county getting spaces is so low is that there are not many grammars which are so close to the border that you would get in on distance (only possibly the Dartford schools). I believe that the only other way for an out of county child to get a Kent grammar place is at one of the superselective schools. So of 1298 who sat and passed from out of county, 107 went to superselectives and 170 went to the Dartford schools. Others of course may have had places at one of the Bromley or Sutton grammars schools, and had sat Kent as a back-up.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I apologise, ........... **** I carry out an analysis of all movement in and out of Kent in considerable detail at the time of allocation in March each year. Re-allocation, appeals and parents taking up private school places will, I believe reduce the number of places taken up by September.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Please note forum rule 6.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ?f=9&t=148" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iceskatingtracing

Post by Iceskatingtracing »

My DS sat with the OOC children but we live in Kent. He is home educated. I wonder which set of children we are counted as. If it's OOC then the numbers will be misleading as they must include small numbers of Kent children.
mystery

Post by mystery »

There are other categories of children who live inside Kent who get counted as OOC as well in the test. I don't know what percentage of OOC test children truly do live outside Kent. It must make the data analysis hard **** as it's a slightly different set of OOC children from OOC when it comes to the admissions process (which is truly children from outside Kent).
Peter

Post by Peter »

*** quotes 1496 children who passed the Kent Test but lived out of county. In response to previous comments, I have included in these the 8 children who were educated at home, about whom I have no data as to residence. To be honest, I thought it such a small number it had no overall bearing on the situation so I did not identify them explicitly. I am waiting for a more detailed breakdown on out of county residence where they may show up.