Bucks - selection review questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jjsaz

Bucks - selection review questions

Post by jjsaz »

We have recently moved to Bucks although my dd still attends an ooc primary school. She very, very narrowly missed 121 and we would like to ask for a selection review. The Headteacher is new and strongly supports our case as she previously taught our child in the infants. Is there any guidance available for what the Headteacher is required to submit on the review form apart from the recommendation and Sats levels.
Last edited by jjsaz on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: Advice for new OOC Headteacher

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

The headteachers manual deals with a lot of administrative matters (for those administering the tests), but it does contain some good advice too, for example "Be aware that your choice of language on the form is important as it will indicate the degree of support you are expressing."
(page 30)
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... R_2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We make a few suggestions of our own! :)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a good relationship with the head, you might be able - very diplomatically - to discuss with her anything you think could have been phrased differently!
Etienne
jjsaz

Bucks - selection review question

Post by jjsaz »

Just filling in my selection review form for dd who scored 120. I have looked at the advice and suggested letter. Would you still advise on keeping the letter quite short, bearing in mind we will not be at the review to present our evidence or is ok to go into detail as to the reasons why we feel our daughter did not perform as well as she could of?

Her scores were VR 77.3, M 29.94 and NV 12.99. Do you think we need to mention how poorly she did in the Non Verbal? She wasn't tutored, so I have no idea why it's so poor a score other than the fact that her natural ability is in English (reading age 14yrs 9 months) and she is not as good at Maths. Her KS2 Sats predictions are all level 5.
Etienne

Re: Bucks - selection review question

Post by Etienne »

jjsaz wrote:Would you still advise on keeping the letter quite short, bearing in mind we will not be at the review to present our evidence or is ok to go into detail as to the reasons why we feel our daughter did not perform as well as she could of?
I understand the point, but would still keep the letter as concise as possible. It's not what you write that matters - it's the supporting evidence. (Numerous references to this in the Q&As.)
Her scores were VR 77.3, M 29.94 and NV 12.99. Do you think we need to mention how poorly she did in the Non Verbal?
They'll spot this for themselves!

No point in raising the issue unless you have an argument to offer (and, to be honest, I don't think being better at English will impress).
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now