Passed but Out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

benville

Passed but Out of catchment

Post by benville »

Just read the email that my son passed the test. He secured 241 marks. I live in Upton in Chester therefore out of catchment. I am now thinking which one to put as 1st preference - Caldy or Wirral Grammar. I like both and transport isn't a problem for me for both schools. I would be grateful if someone can give me an advice where the chances would be high for my son to get a place. I heard that Wirral grammar usually takes all kids who pass and put them as 1st preference. Thank you and its a proud day for me :D
h9999

Re: Passed but Out of catchment

Post by h9999 »

Wirral has far fewer places than Calday - you would probably have a better chance of getting into Calday as they have 200 places as opposed to Wirral who only offer 155 (according to this website info).

My older son is at Calday and quite a few come from your area. It just depends how many pass this year. Your school should be able to advise you.

Good luck
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Put down whichever school you have a preference for under the equal preference system it should not matter as they do not know what order you put down
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do not know about last year but the year before wirral was oversubscribed and you may not have got a place.
If there is not a place at wirral and you put calday second then that will automatically become his first choice.
If you do not get a place at wirral when school places are allocated , you can appeal or stay on waiting list , my friend did this and was allocated a place later( wirral girls) from the waiting list and they did not need to appeal
2 years ago calday took full allocation , last year I think they filled 170 places
We live upton / newton and my ds is at Calday he gets the bus from morrisons , he has really enjoyed his first half term and likes the bus journey, and seems to be doing well.
Both are good schools and I am sure your ds will be happy at either , so go with the one you and your son like best
Any questions just ask
Debs
benville

Post by benville »

Thanks so much Debs , you are so helpful and I am so grateful for helpful advice :)
benville

Post by benville »

Many thanks h9999 :) I think, it seems that Caldy will be my first choice - also the bus comes round the corner - so another bonus for me :)
h9999

Post by h9999 »

benville wrote:Many thanks h9999 :) I think, it seems that Caldy will be my first choice - also the bus comes round the corner - so another bonus for me :)
Best of luck with the application - I am sure he will be very happy there - my son is in year 10 and has been very happy since day 1 - my 10 year old has just passed too - so we are very relieved as it is hard when you already have one there!!

Helen
benville

Post by benville »

Thanks and congratulations Helen :) No more sight of verbal reasoning books for you then :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now