Wallington, Newstead/Nonsuch on CAF

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TSmum

Wallington, Newstead/Nonsuch on CAF

Post by TSmum »

Hi
My DD has cleared Wallington test but they did not inform the scores or the cut off. We are in catchment area for Wallington. She has cleared Nonsuch and Newstead wood as well but didn’t score very well. Nonsuch she has scored total 213(Eng and VR) and Newstead wood total 203 (VR and NVR). We are in catchment for newstead wood but outside for Nonsuch. Based on Historic data cut off for Newstead wood is around 218/219 (although I am not pretty sure if this is consistent over the years or changes). Nonsuch we do not know what the cut-off is going to be this year as this is the first year after they changed the tests introducing English with no NVR test.
I am pretty sure to list Wallington as first choice on CAF but unable to decide between Newstead/ Nonsuch for second and third choice.
Does anyone know from their experience what has been the cut off for Newstead wood last year. Only advantage we have for newstead wood is that we are in the catchment area but her score is far less than what the cutoff given. Nonsuch her score is not good enough to be in first 80 as we are outside catchment. Any chance of her getting a place in Newstead with her score?
Would be grateful for any feedback/suggestions.

Many Thanks
momydem

Re: Wallington, Newstead/Nonsuch on CAF

Post by momydem »

Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum but I've been privileged to be a member for awhile now and appreciate all posts here.
I would also appreciate comments regarding Wallington, Newstead Wood and Nonsuch girls. My daughter passed all three Nonsuch - 226, Newstead -237 and Wallington too. So, so proud of her. We are IC for NW and WHSG but OOC for Nonsuch. Any comments/advise/suggestions would be appreciated from anyone who knows a lot or has a DD in these schools highlighting strengths/weaknesses. This will also aid in our list of preference on the CAF. Congrats to all DD's who made it into one or more! Well done!
Many thanks. :)
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi tsmum
You should place the schools in order of your true preference. If you are not allocated your first choice, your second choice will automatically be bumped up to be your first choice and so on. Just to make it perfectly clear..

Sarah scored 1 point more than Jessica for "nonsuch school"

Sarah has placed "nonsuch school" 6th on her CAF
Jessica has placed "nonsuch school" 1st on her CAF

If Sarah does not qualify for a place at any of her first five preferences, she would still be awarded a place at Nonsuch ahead of Jessica (providing she herself had reached the lowest qualifying score)

I hope this helps.
All the best x
TSmum

Post by TSmum »

Hi laretta,
Thanks for your feedback, it is very helpful. Much appreciated.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Hi TSMum. Newstead doesn't go by catchment. You need only to be in catchment in order to sit the test. The places are then awarded purely on the test score and not on how near or far you live from the school. So, please list schools in the order of your preference.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

bromley mum wrote:Hi TSMum. Newstead doesn't go by catchment. You need only to be in catchment in order to sit the test. The places are then awarded purely on the test score and not on how near or far you live from the school. So, please list schools in the order of your preference.
Isn't the above advise a bit late? CAF date was 31 Oct last year.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

tiffinboys wrote:
bromley mum wrote:Hi TSMum. Newstead doesn't go by catchment. You need only to be in catchment in order to sit the test. The places are then awarded purely on the test score and not on how near or far you live from the school. So, please list schools in the order of your preference.
Isn't the above advise a bit late? CAF date was 31 Oct last year.

For this year, yes but this site is a valuable resource and is used and looked at every year. This advice may help someone in the future.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Good point.. :lol:
partha56370

Wallington OR Newstead on CAF as First Preference

Post by partha56370 »

Hi
My DD has cleared both Wally and Newstead . Now we are a bit confused whether to chose Wally or Newstead as option 1 on the CAF - please can the moderators or others highlight the pros and cons of both schools - we are IC for Wally and also within commutable distance for Newstead .

Any pointers / comemnts to help me make up my mind would be appreciated .
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Both are good schools. How did you feel when you saw these schools on the open days? Which one did you feel is right for your DD.