UGS Year 7 Settling in

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dajuni27

UGS Year 7 Settling in

Post by dajuni27 »

My DD has passed UGS, however although we live in Urmston, she is likely to be the only girl from her primary school going there in Sept 2014. Could anyone shed any light on how they settle in Y7 children and what support they offer those children in her situation, ie. not knowing anyone. She is a very shy child and though this has always been her first choice school, i am worried about her making new friends - the last thing i want after all her hard work would be for her to go and be unhappy there. She has got the option of another grammar school which, though further away, a number of her friends will be going to....we are very confused at the moment and any advice would be appreciated.
me boo

Re: UGS Year 7 Settling in

Post by me boo »

Have sent PM with more specific details, but overall, I cannot be more complimentary about the efforts made to ensure each child is settled. The efforts start as soon as March allocation is announced. I am prepared to share that my shy DS came home on day 1, and announced that he didn't know why he had worried! He has not looked back since.
JSN

Post by JSN »

My best friend's son goes to UGS " it's one big family" I think he is in yr 9? they grow up so quickly!
nlb40

Post by nlb40 »

I am in the same situation as dajuni27 with my ds, so am also interested to know about the settling in process. We loved the school on the open evening. It's so difficult for these children who will be split up from the majority of their friends in a year's time.
me boo

Post by me boo »

Will send same PM!
ljc1975

Post by ljc1975 »

Hi there, my son started at UGS this September and he was the only child from Springfield Primary in Sale that went there. He absolutely loves it....The school are very good at making sure the children are well integrated, which happens very quickly! They went on a 2 night residential trip 2 days into their first week at school and on their return friendships had been made. I really wouldnt worry, there were something like 30 feeder schools this year and therefore a LOT of children who were the only one from their primary. I couldnt praise the school more.. :)
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

Do they give you a choice to pick friends there (possibly from outside School)?
me boo

Post by me boo »

Mr147 wrote:Do they give you a choice to pick friends there (possibly from outside School)?
Yes - that's exactly what they do. The do make it clear that if there are a large number then they will put them in smaller groups in different classes so there isn't one big clique. But they do also explain that children have a choice to request a class with a friend, no matter where they have met them. They even said that if the child only knows a first name and can give a description they will try and match them
ljc1975

Post by ljc1975 »

me boo wrote:
Mr147 wrote:Do they give you a choice to pick friends there (possibly from outside School)?
Yes - that's exactly what they do. The do make it clear that if there are a large number then they will put them in smaller groups in different classes so there isn't one big clique. But they do also explain that children have a choice to request a class with a friend, no matter where they have met them. They even said that if the child only knows a first name and can give a description they will try and match them
Me Boo is your child also a new year 7?
me boo

Post by me boo »

Have a Y8 and a more than likely 2014 Y7!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now