School Preventing Non qualification Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Turbo

School Preventing Non qualification Appeal

Post by Turbo »

Hi
Trying to prepare for appeal on non qualification contacted the school.
The school is now saying I won`t be able to apply via the test criteria because DS didn`t sit for round 2 test, please see Appealbox for details. The school said I can only apply via distance is this legal? And how will I be able to appeal on non qualifications if I didn`t apply via test criteria (on supplementary Information Form from school). I have no chance to get it via distance as I am 4 miles out and average distance place 0.9 mile.

Thanks
Turbo
Ladymuck

Re: School Preventing Non qualification Appeal

Post by Ladymuck »

Did you choose not to sit the second round, or were you not eligible too sit the second round? It may be helpful for the "experts" if you name the school?
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Thanks. DS did not pass 1st round due to circumstances, hence didn`t qualify for second round. I have named the school in the email sent to expert (MHCHS).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It looks like MHCS take the top 240 on the tests and then get them back for further tests, then add some of the scores together and give the 24 places to the top scorers across the two rounds of tests.
I can imagine that it would not be possible for a child who is not in the top 240 in the first round to score high enough in the second test to ensure that the combined score is enough to put them at the very top of the combined scores.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

hermanmunster wrote:child who is not in the top 240 in the first round to score high enough in the second test to ensure that the combined score is enough to put them at the very top of the combined scores.
But does this mean you can`t appeal non qualification due to circumstances and can complete form?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't have an answer to the problem of the supplementary forms, I'm afraid, but if the school is listed on your CAF and you are refused, I think that, strictly speaking, you do have the right of appeal.
Section 94 of the SSFA (School Standards & Framework Act) gives the right of appeal against any decision (note those words "any decision") as to the school at which education is to be provided.

Unfortunately, if this is a school at which the number of successful appeals against non-qualification is quite low, my guess is that at an appeal hearing the school will outline its case (round 1 only, no notification at the time of any extenuating circumstances), and the panel is likely to find in their favour.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now