West Kirby Appeal Process

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tyra

West Kirby Appeal Process

Post by Tyra »

Can anybody help me? DD has just missed out by two marks for WKGS! She was expected by school to go through with no difficulty! Has been scoring well in practice papers! IAB letter was sent by head to board but still not granted! Older sister in year 10!

Have just seen that 802 have sat exam with just over 400 being boys!

Is it worth appealing this decision and can anybody enlighten me to the appeal process in Wirral? Feeling very stressed! Daughter dealing with it far better than her parents are! :(
Etienne

Re: West Kirby Appeal Process

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Appeals are basically the same everywhere, and we offer general advice in our Q&As.
For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I note that the IAB has been involved, and (unless someone on here can tell you for certain) there is a possible issue about whether or not - in the event of an appeal - the admission authority will seek to argue that you've already had a 'fair, consistent & objective' review of your case. This has certainly happened in the Wirral in the past, but I don't know what the current policy is.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Thank you for the information.

I spoke to the education authority yesterday and they told me that basic information would have been sent to the IAB! I wondered whether they would know that she has an older sibling in the school!

We are meeting with head teacher on Thursday whereby they said they will happily give me a copy of the letter they sent, details of sats, reading and spelling age.

Do you think I should contact authority again to see if we can appeal after it being sent to IAB already! I think if they can give me an answer then it will enable us to move on from this awful experience :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You can certainly appeal - the issue is whether you will be up against 'fair, consistent & objective' before they will consider your case properly.
Etienne
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Thank you for that info!

Do you mean that they will have possibly made their minds up before we even start? :( it's so frustrating as I know she will thrive in a grammar school environment. She is a child that wants to know everything about everything! Far more so than her sister is and she is doing extremely well there!

March seems an eternity away now!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tyra wrote:Do you mean that they will have possibly made their minds up before we even start? :(
No - just alerting you to the fact that at the appeal hearing the admission authority might try to argue that there has already been a 'fair, consistent & objective' review, and if the appeal panel were to accept that argument, then your appeal would be heard but wouldn't succeed.
Etienne
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

This scares me to death!! :shock:

But think we must pursue this for our DD as it is what she wants but I think whatever the outcome she will be okay as she has all her family and friends for support. :D
Tyra

WKGS Wirral Appeals

Post by Tyra »

Would anybody happen to know whether you can access information about how many successful appeals there have been for the last few years for West Kirby Grammar School, Wirral? Would I have to contact authority or the school direct? Trying to get armed with a bit more information before we dive into the Appeal nightmare :?