Relevance of KS1 results at review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tkc3

Relevance of KS1 results at review

Post by Tkc3 »

I've been combing through my DS2 school reports prior to a potential Review/Appeal, to which I am still undecided.

I've noticed from reading various threads that panels will be expecting levels 3 at the end of KS1. My DS2 only achieved level: 2A Maths & Reading and 2B in writing. He was an April baby and only started full time school in term 5 (the then school policy) then the youngest in the year where kept back in reception only to join the rest of the year in year 2. Could this be used to explain why he didn't achieve level 3's?

He QCA's in year 5 are now: 5B maths, 5 writing, 4B science & 4B reading with predicted level 5's across the board.

I would be interested to hear an argument on both sides to help me formulate a decision.
Or is it just not relevant?
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Relevance of KS1 results at review

Post by Etienne »

Good question!

My previous advice on KS1 results is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I notice that Bucks Review Panels are now requesting KS1 results on the headteacher's summary sheet.

What they're doing is checking whether the KS2 predictions look realistic in the light of everything that has been achieved previously.

For appeal purposes I think I would have been satisfied with year 5 levels to check that the child really is on target for level 5s.
I've noticed from reading various threads that panels will be expecting levels 3 at the end of KS1. My DS2 only achieved level: 2A Maths & Reading and 2B in writing. He was an April baby and only started full time school in term 5 (the then school policy) then the youngest in the year where kept back in reception only to join the rest of the year in year 2. Could this be used to explain why he didn't achieve level 3's?
Personally I would have thought so, especially if there was good progress from year 3 to year 5.
Etienne
2hostess

Post by 2hostess »

I've met with our Headteacher yesterday, who sits on the review panels for children from other school. My daughter missed the pass score by one mark, and was level 2A for KS1. The Headteacher said that the panel will be looking for at least 2 levels progress between KS1 and KS2. She achieved the 2 levels progress (4A) at the end of year 5, and is predicted to be on level 5B by the end of year 6, which means almost 3 levels progress. He said that they will be looking at the *progress*, which was very good, and that the actual results at KS1 don't matter too much.
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Thanks Etienne

I will ensure I have this conversation with his Headteacher before she fills out her report! :wink:
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

Having gone through Selection Review and appeal last year, it would appear that in our appeal, it came across that as our DD was Level 3s at KS1 and 5s at KS2, that she was penalised.

It was all about the progress so they even told us in the appeal that all she had done was make the expected progress and it left us feeling like it would be better to be Level 2s a KS1! (We also got the clerks notes after the appeal which confirmed this).

Hope this helps for those with Level 2s at KS1 and does not demoralize others like us!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

it came across that as our DD was Level 3s at KS1 and 5s at KS2, that she was penalised.

I can't explain what the panel said - it sounds very odd to me.
I've never heard of pupils who perform consistently well being penalised for level 3s at KS1!
If they proceed to level 5s at KS2, it demonstrates consistent (and credible) achievement.

Many (not all) successful appeals will have level 3s at KS1.
Etienne
Tkc3

Re: Advice re review

Post by Tkc3 »

Can I just confirm that if I decide not to go for the review process, which needs to be submitted By 9am Friday 25th Oct and hold out for an appeal, that I do not currently have to contact BCC and inform them of my decision?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No - don't worry about that. No one has to declare what they're not doing (not applying for a review, or not applying for an appeal).
Etienne
Pumpkin1000

Re: Advice re review

Post by Pumpkin1000 »

Tkc3 wrote:Can I just confirm that if I decide not to go for the review process, which needs to be submitted By 9am Friday 25th Oct and hold out for an appeal, that I do not currently have to contact BCC and inform them of my decision?
Hi Tkc3. I just spoke to Bucks. The form need to be handed in at the latest at 5pm on Friday if you are dropping it off. You just need to get a receipt from reception with a date as confirmation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now