N London indies exams for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fairyelephant

N London indies exams for boys

Post by fairyelephant »

Hoping for some pearls of wisdom! Having done the girls' schools last year for DD, this year it's the boys' schools for DS. Have finally whittled it down to four schools for DS to apply to: highgate, ucs, city and belmont. It's going to be tough as none of these schools is easy to get into, I think belmont/mill hill seem to have upped their game, but we have a super comp locally which DS is very keen on. City is the one I perceive to be the hardest to get into (am I right?), and the one I may pull him out of if he's not raised his game a bit in English by then, it's the last exam, he'll be tired and I'm worried about setting him up to fail too many times over!
For city and highgate English and Maths formats are published on the web, but for the others they are not. Are they pretty similar?
Also the reasoning tests for each school - which format is closest? We have practised bond,athey, letts and gla.
Hoping someone has some top tips!
Salcombe

Re: N London indies exams for boys

Post by Salcombe »

I can help a little with Highgate and City.

City uses the University of Durham computer CEM programme, (GETINTU) as an important assessment of potential as far as I know. The school has a generous scholarship and bursary scheme and I would not be put off applying.

Highgate I am pretty sure uses NVR as part of its entrance test. So best to prepare for all those rather silly shapes etc.

Good Luck
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Highgate use English, Maths and NVR. They award 10 new scholarships each year.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi thank you both for the replies.

Does anyone have an idea of the format for the vr/Nvr for these schools. Or the maths/English for ucs and belmont?

I had thought that the CEM bit of the City test was the pre-screening thing for bursaries, or am I wrong?
simon

Post by simon »

Yes the CEM part of the test is the bursary testing.
Fitzylady

Post by Fitzylady »

2Girlsmum wrote:Highgate use English, Maths and NVR. They award 10 new scholarships each year.
But remember the scholarships now have very little monetary value, they are much more of an accolade for the student and may include extra lessons etc. All the money now goes into bursaries - which are available from about 10% up to 100% depending on your personal circumstances. The assessment process for getting a bursary can be quite intrusive - so be warned!