Headteachers and appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Headteachers and appeals

Post by Guest »

What influence do headteachers in Bucks have over the appeals process? Are there any alternatives to meeting with them if you want to lodge an appeal.

Our son's headteacher has inferred he will not say our son is suitable for grammar school if he misses two days of school in the next three weeks.
katel

Post by katel »

You say he 'inferred'. I would make an appointment and ask him directly what he means - if he meant what you think he meant then I think that's unacceptable.

It's very difficult to succeed in an appeal without hte headteacher's support. Possible, but difficult.
Catherine

Re: Headteachers and appeals

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:What influence do headteachers in Bucks have over the appeals process? Are there any alternatives to meeting with them if you want to lodge an appeal.

Our son's headteacher has inferred he will not say our son is suitable for grammar school if he misses two days of school in the next three weeks.
I suppose that your son's headteacher wants to discourage pupils from taking a holiday after the 11+ hard work. It may just be an empty threat, but whether is is or not, it is - in my opinion - an unforgivable thing to say.
The head recommendation is very important for appeals.

Re: Headteachers and appeals

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:What influence do headteachers in Bucks have over the appeals process? Are there any alternatives to meeting with them if you want to lodge an appeal.

It's a shame to hear that headteachers are so influential in the decision. Our son's headteacher is not very approachable and the school ethos is at times adverserial. We are not planning on taking our son out of school at any time, but his attendance last year was poor, due mainly to illnesses and partly due to his grandmother dying. The head approved 5 days holiday in term time that we wanted to take after spending most of the Easter holidays dealing with the death. It is the only time we have ever done that. His attendance would have been within acceptable limits otherwise.