need your advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sys4cad

need your advice

Post by sys4cad »

my DD got passed Wally, Nonsuch and TGS stage 1.

IMO,DD got far enough marks for Nonsuch as we are in catchment.
But we parent would like to encourage her to take stage 2 test and want to put TGS as 1st choice.

In this case, If I set the order as TGS-Nonsuch-Wally... , then
Is it nothing to lose game ( if DD not doing well in stage 2 )
or it will cause any other problem?

Hope to get your valuable response.
Last edited by sys4cad on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
tiffinboys

Re: need your advice

Post by tiffinboys »

Nothing to loose if you put your true preferences. If you like TGS most, put TGS first.
If you don't get it, then you will be given your second preference if you qualify for it. and so on.
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

Thanks a million tiffinboys! :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sys4cad wrote:my DD got passed Wally, Nonsuch and TGS stage 1.

IMO,DD got far enough marks for Nonsuch as we are in catchment.
But we parent would like to encourage her to take stage 2 test and want to put TGS as 1st choice.

In this case, If I set the order as TGS-Nonsuch-Wally... , then
Is it nothing to lose game ( if DD not doing well in stage 2 )
or it will cause any other problem?

Hope to get your valuable response.
You say you want TGS most, so are putting it first - good :D

If too many girls are ranked above your DD by TGS, then you won't be offered a place there.

So... the only "problem" your selection of schools as lower preference can cause is either 1) your DD doesn't come high enough up their offer lists either or 2) you really want School 3 next after TGS, but for some misguided reason are putting School 2 above it. You then run the risk of getting School 2 when you really prefer School 3. The LA (or rather the computer program) is not a mind-reader - it assumes that what you put is what you want :lol: and just allocates your highest placed school that can offer you a place.

However, you should also put at least one back-up school that your DD will definitely get into should the unthinkable happen, or you run the risk of getting allocated School X miles away (or even on your doorstep) that neither you nor anyone else wants so it gets all the otherwise un-placeable kids.

Crossed posts!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

appreciate your post ToadMum :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi sys4cad and congratulations to your DD. The only thing I would add (and you'll have seen my opinion on this in another thread!) is to think about the travelling. If you are much closer to Nonsuch than to TGS your DD might have an easier life travelling if you choose Nonsuch. Last year my DD passed both TGS and Nonsuch and as we are so much closer to Tiffin, even though Nonsuch is also a great school and she'd have loved it there, we ended up putting it a long way down on the CAF in the end as we thought her journey there was just too far (stayed up very late on 30th october last year trying to make a decision!). Just something else to think about for you... Peridot
mc2

Post by mc2 »

completely agree with Peridot Re travelling.

I was on the same position as sys4cad, but last night we have decided to put Nonsuch as our 1st preference.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Totally agree with you, mc2. See where your child would be most happy. A happy child will perform so much better.
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

mc2 wrote:completely agree with Peridot Re travelling.

I was on the same position as sys4cad, but last night we have decided to put Nonsuch as our 1st preference.
:D good to know I'm not the only one.
sys4cad

Post by sys4cad »

tiffinboys wrote:Totally agree with you, mc2. See where your child would be most happy. A happy child will perform so much better.
Peridot wrote:The only thing I would add (and you'll have seen my opinion on this in another thread!) is to think about the travelling
agree... your comment make me decide to choose Nonsuch as our 1st choice,
then my DD will be VERY happy.

Here are couple of reasons

1. DD can have very near school

2. she can finish exam just right now... ( I can imagine what she says when I pick her up this afternoon :) )
and spend more time on learning another musical instrument,
playing tennis,football together, attend Young Pianist Event etc

3. family can have a trip this half term

4. back to stress relief life!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now