Travel to Sale Grammar from SK8 area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Roxy4040

Travel to Sale Grammar from SK8 area

Post by Roxy4040 »

Hi would appreciate some advice please. Looking at public transport options for DD to travel to Sale Grammar from Heald Green area. Had a look at school website but closet bus route I can find is from Wythenshawe which is not ideal. Spoken to admissions lady who said there are 19 pupils from SK8 area so wondering if anyone can provide some travel advice. Thank you. :)
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Travel to Sale Grammar from SK8 area

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

The x5 goes from Stockport town centre but times nor great. I am racking my brains think you could do it with a combo of buses (11a /371 ???) and a tram maybe from Alty. I am sure it is doable. We live in the Heatons my son is at AGSB, he gets the 370 but we have the tram as an option. If you could get her to East Didsbury then the tram would work with a change ( too far for you though?). I am pretty sure there are school buses from Heald Green to Loreto/AGGS which maybe she could Jump on and the it's minutes to Sale on the tram. Where there's a Will there's a way- we leave at 7 to get bus- my son is happy to do it. Good luck!!
Roxy4040

Post by Roxy4040 »

Thank you tiddlymum. There are buses that go to AGGS and Loretto with stops near me. Hadn't thought of using that bus with tram at other end...good thinking! Getting to tram station direct will be difficult as work in opposite direction. Was hoping for a single journey without any changes for her. She's never travelled alone yet so trying to keep it as easy as possible but realise that May not be possible.
First choice is AGGS so hoping that works out.
That is an early start for you!
My DD is not a morning person so am not looking forward to the much earlier starts.
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

I just looked at various routes for you as I completely empathise with wanting a single no-change journey but sadly I cant find any less than 2 buses either x57, 11 or 706 Alti bus first.
Useful to know for me anyway for future possible reference when dd takes exams in couple years.

As for early starts - a year ago we used to wake at 7.40. Now we are getting the 7.15 bus!!
You get used to it....
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

How easy/not easy to get to Northenden and then pick up the 41 direct to school? Train from Heald green to airport, is there a bus from there? I am sure one mu on here (gatley mum???) lives in Gatley and has a child at SGS?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Yes, try gatleymum. Her DD was to start at Sale GS this September. Wonder how she gets there?
Roxy4040

Post by Roxy4040 »

Thank you all for your advice. Northenden not great for me either unfortunately. Think if she doesn't get AGGS and gets Sale then Alty bus with tram will be best option.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

If that's what you decide it will be fine- there are tons of kids doing the same thing everyday- she won't be alone!
YasPraba

Post by YasPraba »

Hi not sure you have sorted the travel. My son goes to AGSB from last Sep 13. Tiddlymum was the first one gave me advise on travel as i also live in Heatons. he catches the tram from East Didsbury (i drop him off to catch the 7.18 tram, he changes at Trafford Bar to get a Alty tram. There are 2 lines running to Alty, but normally quite packed with school kids. lots of Sales & AGGS & AGSB kids use them.
Another choice is, can get a train from Stockport ( to Chester) at 7.30am, get off @ Navigation Road and catch tram to Brooklands (i think thats the stop near to SG), if your DS gets to AGGS, the train stops at Hale (2 mins walk to AGSB). Train is more quicker & very close to AGSB unfortunately it runs every hour, therefore my son doesn't like to be at school at 7.45 am *S*
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now