Looking for advice......

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DW

Looking for advice......

Post by DW »

Hi
My daughter is doing really well at Maths and Verbal Reasoning but just seems to have no interest at all in English. She can generally answer the factual questions in the comprehension but when it comes to the question where she has to put her own thoughts or interpretation on paper she just down tools and says it is too hard. Does anyone have any advice or tips for doing comprehensions? I am concerned that this is going to let her down and that's such a shame when she is doing so well at the other subjects. She does have a very black and white brain and therefore favours science and maths where answers are right or wrong. Someone told me at the weekend that the trick to doing the comprehensions is to read the questions before the text. Is this true and if so would she have time to do this in a test situation? Any help gratefully received.
Secondtimearound

Post by Secondtimearound »

My daughter was like this in KS2. Eyes would glaze over when given a piece of comprehension text! I absolutely agree with the advice to read the questions first as it helps to focus the reading task if you are actually looking for something. I advised my daughter to do this in her SATs test but she later told me that she wasn't allowed to... :? So she must have wasted about 10 minutes just staring at the paper until the children were told to look at the questions, and then she started by reading the questions and going back to the text. Came out with a Level 5...and before that she was barely scraping a 4!
Y

Post by Y »

You could try doing some comprehension tests with her purely orally. Perhaps if you can get her thinking without the necessity to put her thoughts in writing, you might make some progress.

Y