STR or The Crypt? Please advise.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dockar1

STR or The Crypt? Please advise.

Post by dockar1 »

I am a complete novice at the 11+ scene and the grammar schools choices, so I can do with whatever help I can get. My DS scored enough to be considered by STR and The Crypt. He had a score of 217 at STR but I don't know if that is enough to get him in this year? Any thoughts? His score for The Crypt was 118.5 and again my question is if that is enough to get into the Crypt. I would not want him to go on a waiting list and cause him even more stress, so please advise which would be the more reasonable option? Many thanks.
DC17C

Re: STR or The Crypt? Please advise.

Post by DC17C »

I think you should be OK for STRS and definitely OK for Crypt. My ds has just started at Crypt and I am very happy with how things have gone so far. Staff have been very helpful when I have emailed with a query, homework seesm to have been manageable, DS seems very happy to go off to school every day - seems to have made some new friends and coping with travelling on number 10 bus. There will be plenty of STRS parents with similar experiences I am sure.
Everyone will have their own reasons for wanting a particular school - for some - who have the luxury of choice-it may be based on logistics or something particular about the school / ofsted etc. I would put down your preferred school first and I suspect you will get it and if not you have a very good second choice.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I agree with DC17C. Your son ought to be offered a place at either of those schools with his scores, but one will be easier for him and you logistically and I think you should choose that. I have sons at STRS and am as happy as DC17C is with Crypt - in fact neither school seems to have too many detractors. Go with the one which will make your life easiest as the parent I say - they are both great schools.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I agree. As both are very good schools, proximity and logistics would be my main driver.
dockar1

Post by dockar1 »

Thank you all for your input. Knowing that both are very good schools will make our decision that bit easier as we shall go with the one our DS feels more comfortable with.
cazien

Post by cazien »

I agree - sorry if we are not much help but it is a personal choice for your DS/yourself. With those scores he should be offered his first choice of school. I believe only STR maintains a waiting list, but there isn't really anything you do to push yourself up it :( .

Things to consider when making your choice:-
Siblings - Do you have any other children who are going to secondary school over the next few years? If so, what school would you be looking at for them? Logistics is the main problem for parents who have children at different schools. Don't forget evening events which your DS (and you :shock: ) may have to attend so think of journey times.
Expense - bus journey prices are only going to rise :roll: . Can your DS walk/cycle to school?
dockar1

Post by dockar1 »

Thank you cazien, you all are helping with your comments. Just the fact itself that you all take some time from your busy lives to advise a complete stranger is encouraging :D We live in Winchcombe which is miles away from both grammars, so my DS will have to commute at least 30 - 50 minutes each way. Logistically STRS would be easier to get to but as the Crypt is only 3 miles further it will not make much of a difference in the end :)
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Amber wrote:I agree with DC17C. Your son ought to be offered a place at either of those schools with his scores, but one will be easier for him and you logistically and I think you should choose that. I have sons at STRS and am as happy as DC17C is with Crypt - in fact neither school seems to have too many detractors. Go with the one which will make your life easiest as the parent I say - they are both great schools.
Exactly this. We went with the one my son preferred,but would have been happy with either.
Amber

Post by Amber »

dockar1 wrote:We live in Winchcombe which is miles away from both grammars, so my DS will have to commute at least 30 - 50 minutes each way. Logistically STRS would be easier to get to but as the Crypt is only 3 miles further it will not make much of a difference in the end :)
I think you might find it does actually. Longlevens is the Cheltenham side of Gloucester - Crypt requires a different journey taking in the centre of Gloucester from where you are. It's a long way.

You may also want to investigate the bus companies as I gather from some of the threads on this forum that there may be issues with the company which goes from Cheltenham to Crypt and Ribston.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Indeed there are issues. There is a new service to Ribston/Crypt which is in the process of being set up. It will leave the Racecourse at 7.25 am and have several pickups along the way, with the last one (I believe) from Arle Court at 7.45; I can send you details if you like. Alternatively, there is the 94 bus to STR which travels from the Prom along Lansdown Rd, past GCHQ and along the Golden Valley and then to Longlevens. It leaves every 15 minutes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now