Head admits mistake, makes appeal and plea, still refused!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JIMBO

Head admits mistake, makes appeal and plea, still refused!!!

Post by JIMBO »

The headmistress of my sons school is mortified. She gave him the wrong paper on the second paper and he had to sit a week later.

She appealled last week (before I knew the results). told the school she had made a mistake, told them he is in target for level 5 sats results but to no avail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her mistake could have cost my son a place at grammer (he failed by 4 marks). She is devasted, so much so that she will never allow the 11 plus to be taken at her school again.

What does it take to get fair play for some of these little ones?

I am going to put it down as third place choice, go to appeal anyway via LEA.
It is a minefield.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Jimbo,

Sorry to hear the HT's non-statutory appeal failed. These "appeals" are considered by the governors (or some of them) of the school so are not independent in the same way as "proper" appeals are. Thus you should not take this as an indication that a proper appeal will fail.

Equally you may not be able to find out the reason why at this stage. However, it may simply be that that particular set of governors are not happy to consider anything below the one or two marks which are generally regarded as borderline fails. You should also find out whether the shortfall in marks was only on the NVR paper, the one which suffered the mess-up. If it was on the other paper or spread between both, this may also have influenced the decision.

As I understand the school in question is a Foundation School which arranges its own appeals, your appeal will be submitted direct to the school rather than to the LEA. They are usually held around May.
Katie

Post by Katie »

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your son. I can't belive it's not just a straight decision being as everyone's admitted their mistakes - that seems like a really good start for an appeal to me!
Best of luck!
perplexed

questions

Post by perplexed »

sorry it would be useful to have more detail in the original question ---- and Alex seems to know more which is baffling. But I agree with the above thread that it may still be worth appealing, but you need some good evidence that he is normally in the top whatever percentage and that it was this mix-up that affected his performance.

First of all, why should doing a paper a week later mean that you would get lower marks and therefore result in everyone hoping that the headteacher appeal would be successful?

Secondly, why should a prediction of level 5s be convincing evidence of passing the 11+? Quite a high proportion of children get level 5s nationally - higher than the percentage that is being looked for in most county's or school's selective tests?

Thirdly, how could she give the "wrong" paper out?

Fourthly, were there any other children in this situation at this or another school and did it affect their marks in the same say?

Fifthly, the most unfair thing seems to be the head saying that no-one else can do the 11+ ---- is this really within her powers? She sounds a little odd?????

I think you need to put some clearer detail in you question and someone like Etienne may be able to give you a really good answer.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Perplexed, you seem a little unsympathetic...

To update you with some facts regarding Jimbo's son:
sorry it would be useful to have more detail in the original question ---- and Alex seems to know more which is baffling.
More info can be found in "Lincolnshire"
First of all, why should doing a paper a week later mean that you would get lower marks and therefore result in everyone hoping that the headteacher appeal would be successful?

Jimbo'd son has Asperger Syndrome.
Thirdly, how could she give the "wrong" paper out?

Fourthly, were there any other children in this situation at this or another school and did it affect their marks in the same say?
Fifthly, the most unfair thing seems to be the head saying that no-one else can do the 11+ ---- is this really within her powers? She sounds a little odd?????

Jimbo's son was the only child to sit the 11+ at his school this year and was given a practice paper by mistake. I can understand the head's distress.

Mind you, it does seem strange that children are allowed to sit the test in ones. Perhaps this was because of his Aspergers??

perplexed

questions

Post by perplexed »

Sorry if I sounded unsympathetic. I was not intending to be either sympathetic, or unsympathetic. These were the questions that came to my mind when I read the post, and I think that if Jimbo wants to get some helpful advice for the next stage, then he/she needs to post a detailed question. Then someone like Etienne gives who gives very helpful answers to appeal questions can respond if given the full info.

As the headteacher's appeal has already failed Jimbo needs some good advice on which to proceed. I had not read the Lincolnshire post because I live in Kent , which is why this thread is a little mysterious except to someone who lives in Lincolnshire. Maybe the head did not present a very credible view of the child's ability at the appea and the parents will stand a much better chance if they put together a good case themselves. But the forums on here will only help them prepare a good case if they are happy to think about it from all angles, rather than just take the view that he as Aspergers', he had to redo a paper, he should pass.

I do not know what approach should be taken considering the candidate has Aspergers'. It may be that the application for the school has not been dealt with correctly irrespective of whether or not the pupil had been given the wrong paper. Has this also been discussed on the SEN forum?

Good luck, Jimbo.
JIMBO

Don't be perplexed

Post by JIMBO »

Firstly, my son sat his 11 plus by himself because he was the only one sitting it at his school!!

Secondly, of course it should be taken into account that, after thinking he had already sat his exam, without warning and being taken out of his class and not prepared, he was asked to sit again.

Apart from the fact that he has special needs which relate directly to needing warning of what is happening...

I most certainly don't think there was any advantage gained by sitting under these circunstances. I defy anyone to say they wouldn't be stressed if they had to resit their A level or GCSE having thought it all over!!! Let alone having a special need that dicates the need to know what is happening and the environment!!

However, I have taken all advice I need to make a decision. My son will not be put through a system that is not consistant or fair. Since we could not appeal till after places were allocated it seem a little academic doesn't it.

He will do far better at a good comp who have more to offer on an individual basis. No doubt he will meet up with many grammer school pupils whilst doing his a levels or degree as his parents did.

I will leave it at that
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Good. I wish you son every success at the school you have chosen.
chad

Post by chad »

Jimbo.....my heart goes out to you....having a son 'somewhere on the autistic spectrum' nearest diagnosis 'aspergers'.....I completely understand how having to sit the paper again with no forward notice would upset and disrupt your son's thinking process. My son completely flunks any tests that are not notified in advance.....and this is comfirmed by his grammar school. Some of the teachers have even been known to call him to one side 1/2hr before a test just to allow him to get used to the idea! This makes such a difference to his scores.
If you have a good fall back school that you are happy with then I understand your decision not to go through the process of appeal.
Appeals after allocaton can succeed and can be attempted without the child knowing....but again the fact that your son has aspergers mean he needs to know exactly what is happening and being the only one who may not know where he is moving on to could be disturbing for him. I am sure that you will choose the best course of action for your child. This was a rottten thing to happen to him and the head must feel distraught but the system hasnt been kind to you.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

JIMBO
Your original post did not make clear just quite how many mistakes the head made. As well as giving the wrong paper, your last post now makes clear that she did not tell you what had happened, she just dragged your son out of a lesson for an immediate re-test. I bet she did not say this at the headteacher appeal as it would have made her sound even more incompetent.

Are you really sure you don't want to appeal? I would have thought you would have had a good chance if you take some good advice from Etienne and the SEN forum. Some schools do make space on appeal.

You must really have wanted a grammar school place for your son to have gone through the 11+ hassle in the first place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now