Reading Boys appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GS711

Reading Boys appeal

Post by GS711 »

I seem to be in an impossible situation that no one has been able to advise me on, so hoping someone in the forum can offer advice.

Got the results from Reading Boys this week. Pass mark is 336 and my son got 335.69 a shortfall of 0.31 of a mark, or 0.01%.

The papers were:
Reasoning - 50 questions
English - 50 questions
Maths - 50 questions

I understand that standardisation and age allowance is applied to come up with the final result, however my son has missed out by less than the value of a question and therefore it is all in the way in which the standardisation has taken place. School is adamant that they will not round the result up to the next whole number. They have said the only recourse available to us is a remark of the papers - costing £600 (!!!) and they say that it is extremely unlikely it will make any difference.

I could handle the result if my DS had missed by even a couple of marks - but 0.31 of a mark is unbearable.

In addition, there are some exceptional circumstances, which I won 't go into - but I feel warrant grounds for an appeal, but according to the school, my DS's application will not even be considered by the school as he has not obtained the minimum score required for application. I feel like we are in a catch 22.

What are the options availed to us?
DC17C

Re: Reading Boys appeal

Post by DC17C »

Gosh what an awful situation. I don't know anything about previous Reading appeals as not in your area. You should still be able to appeal on grounds of non qualification as per:

http://www.reading-school.co.uk/63/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and
http://www.reading.gov.uk/residents/Edu ... n-appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to appeal it is not up to the school to decide but the Independant Admissions Panel and then it is going to depend more on alternative academic evidence, reasons for wanting that particular school and extenuating circumstances as well as the argument as to whether an additional child can be accomodated.

Is that they are saying that no non- qual appeals have been successful in the past? I would like to think such a narrow score gap would be met with some sympathy.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! - and we do sympathise with your situation.
GS711 wrote:They have said the only recourse available to us is a remark of the papers - costing £600 (!!!)
That sounds extraordinary when Buckinghamshire can provide a re-mark for £25.
https://apps2.buckscc.gov.uk/eCommerce/ ... logue.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and they say that it is extremely unlikely it will make any difference.
That bit may well be correct. Re-marks rarely seem to discover any errors (although it has happened).
I understand that standardisation and age allowance is applied to come up with the final result, however my son has missed out by less than the value of a question and therefore it is all in the way in which the standardisation has taken place.
Another forum member has been battling with this issue of standardisation. I'll see if he's willing to discuss with you.
my DS's application will not even be considered by the school as he has not obtained the minimum score required for application. I feel like we are in a catch 22.
It's true that they will reject the application - but if you list the school on your CAF, and are refused, then you must have the right of appeal. (However, as far as we are aware, not many appeals for this particular school in recent years appear to have succeeded.)

We offer guidance on appeals. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The appeal process in Gloucester included the paper being remarked and the appellant being given a copy of the marked answer sheets with rawscores and SAS.

Another poster did report their remark had resulted in 2 extra marks and that was enough for a QS; but that case had involved an enlarged answer sheet for a visually impaired child and the mistake was made in transcribing the answer sheet to another smaller answer sheet to allow for computer marking.
£600 seems extreme :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

DC17C wrote: £600 seems extreme :?
And there was Amber thinking £25 was "a nice little earner"! :roll:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35#p408535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
GS711

Post by GS711 »

We have had no choice but to pay the £600 for a remark. School were unable to justify the excessive expense, just said that was the cost. Have had to borrow the money.

However, what do we get for our money? Will we get a breakdown of the calculation of the standardisation etc. With such a small margin, we are not even looking for an extra mark - just want to make sure the roundings are accurate etc. If the school don't provide this, are we able to request this information under data protection Act?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Etienne wrote:
DC17C wrote: £600 seems extreme :?
And there was Amber thinking £25 was "a nice little earner"! :roll:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35#p408535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I hope Bucks parents realise what a bargain they are getting. How on earth can they justify that - do they take you off to a Caribbean island to tell you the result?

This rounding down business seems unbelievable to me as an outsider: it seems entirely cruel to issue tantalising figures like this. What is wrong with whole numbers - at least that way you would think your child was one mark off, rather than less than half.

I hope no one from GCC is reading this because as things stand it is free.

Cross posts - you have paid it?! This is an outrage. I would want to take that up in writing with someone senior. This totally discriminates against anyone who cannot afford that. Which is most people. Surely there has to be some kind of legal right to ask for this and not to be hit by punitive charges which would put almost everyone off?
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

GS711 wrote:We have had no choice but to pay the £600 for a remark. School were unable to justify the excessive expense
I would have asked for figures of how many other DC are within less than a mark of the QS first.
For example if there were only 1-2 DC in this position you would have a better chance at appeal but what if there are 10-20 others in the same position which is perfectly possible I would guess they would go to appeal too being so close. It helps to know what you are up against before spending that amount of money and not having the paper remarked would not go against you at appeal.

I cannot for the life of me understand where a figure of £600 can be an accurate reflection of costs incurred to a school for a remark.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

But the pass mark doesn't guarantee a place anyway. Last year the lowest mark *that we know of on the forum* that got a place from the waiting list was 342, quite a bit above 336.

I feel very sorry for you - I don't think the school have served you well in this.

Your son has done very well, and I hope you have a plan B that you will be happy with.
GS711

Post by GS711 »

CarpeDiem - I totally agree with your comments about finding out further information before spending the money, but the school have refused to give us any information whatsoever. They also told us today was the deadline to get the remark done as next week is half term and I have to send in the SAF by 31st Oct.

My husband had to take time off work to go down to the school to pay for the remark this morning. The results of the remark will be posted today.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now