Homework levels for Beths, Chis & Sids,Dartford & Wilmington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Homework levels for Beths, Chis & Sids,Dartford & Wilmington

Post by salsa »

Hi all,

Could parents who have children at these schools please tell me the levels of homework children need to do every day? We are considering the schools and as our son will have to travel 1 hour each way, we need to know how much free time he will have!
I have heard that at Wilmington children were expected to do 2 hours every evening and even 2 1/2! Is that your experience?
I have also heard that at Dartford they were expected to do 45 minutes, but sometimes they are given 2 lots of homework for the evening.

I don't know anything about Beths and Chis & Sids.

All answers would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Filitosa96

Re: Homework levels for Beths, Chis & Sids,Dartford & Wilmin

Post by Filitosa96 »

I would say that 45 mins per night for our son in DGS in Y7 is a generous estimate, it often took him less time to complete it than that. Wily boys would get started in the LRC in break and at lunch.
Very rare to get two lots set at once in my recollection.
I am ambivalent about too much homework and I was very pleased that DGS eased them through secondary transition without piling it on.
I think 2 hours nightly is shocking for children aged 11 personally. I suspect that must be embroidered, surely?!
And before you ask, he is a very good student, has always done his homework and has never yet been given an after-school for not doing it :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you for that. What year is your son in now? Do they get more homework as the years progress?
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

Yes, he gets more homework now, but it only really increased noticeably in Y9 (he is Y10 and well stuck in to GCSE work!)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you! Anybody else?
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

DS is in Year 7 at Beths and at the start was getting a couple of bits a night which initially was taking him between an hour and an hour and a half.
It has noticeably trailed off and he now usually has one subject (sometimes two) which usually takes less than an hour.
We've found the important thing is to keep on top of it, ie try and do it asap, rather than wait until the night before its due!
DS has a long trip home and although he's tired, he's managing it all very well.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

DS is Y7 at DGS and gets 3-4 pieces of homework a night. Some he gets done in the library at school but most is done at home. It normally takes him about an hour a night. He is getting better at managing his time rather than leaving everything until the night before it's due in.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi, thank you both. It seems that about an hour is the average, isn't it.