Appeal-unqualification & mismatch of question/answer sheet

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Khullarssg

Appeal-unqualification & mismatch of question/answer sheet

Post by Khullarssg »

Hi,
1. My d has obtained 109 in the slough consortium as apposed to 111needed. However she tells me that during her exam, there was a mismatch between her question booklet and answer sheet. Which she pointed out to the teacher. The teacher tore a question sheet and gave to my d, after which she continued to finish the test. No extra time was allotted to her in this process. Now I am not sure if this led to any mis-marking at all?
2. My d has been an outstanding student in school, having achieved all 5 a in reading writing numeracy in year 5 itself.
3. My d also qualified the bucks and Sutton grammar Sch. Exams. But because we live in hounslow it is difficult for us to move there.

Please advise if the above 3 points can be used as reasons to appeal to slough consortium?
I am in the process of filling in the caf form. If I need to appeal do I need to mention all 3 slough schools Langley, Herschel and slough in my form? As I have been told that you need to put down the school you need to appeal to in the form.

Please advise urgently- mother in distress :(
Etienne

Re: Appeal-unqualification & mismatch of question/answer she

Post by Etienne »

Khullarssg wrote:1. My d has obtained 109 in the slough consortium as apposed to 111needed. However she tells me that during her exam, there was a mismatch between her question booklet and answer sheet. Which she pointed out to the teacher. The teacher tore a question sheet and gave to my d, after which she continued to finish the test. No extra time was allotted to her in this process. Now I am not sure if this led to any mis-marking at all?
Do we know for certain whether this incident was recorded in the invigilator's log?
Did you report it at the time? (It's always a good idea to do this to get it 'on the record'.)
2. My d has been an outstanding student in school, having achieved all 5 a in reading writing numeracy in year 5 itself.
That sounds like a good start. Any other evidence?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
3. My d also qualified the bucks and Sutton grammar Sch. Exams. But because we live in hounslow it is difficult for us to move there.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am in the process of filling in the caf form. If I need to appeal do I need to mention all 3 slough schools Langley, Herschel and slough in my form? As I have been told that you need to put down the school you need to appeal to in the form.
Usually, yes - it is the refusal of your application that triggers the right of appeal.
Etienne
Khullarssg

Post by Khullarssg »

Thanks for sharing this useful information. On the 1st point we had not asked them for logging the info.
But my kid has told us the sequence of events, we will report to the school now and ask for a recheck manually siting the events. Do you know if they would entertain such requests prior to an appeal? Tx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Re-marks are discussed in the Q&As.
Etienne
Khullarssg

Post by Khullarssg »

Hi,
Is there a format / any verbiage I should be using while reporting this incident to the school?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No - just state briefly what happened, and ask whether it was noted in the invigilator's log.
Etienne
Khullarssg

Post by Khullarssg »

Hi Etienne,
Just wanted to reach out to you again. Latest update is:
1. Filled the CAF form now mentioning the SGS in the list, in order for us to appeal
2. Contacted the school where D took the exam, to request re-mark of paper and log incident that took place during the exam (awaiting result of re-check and got confirmation from school that the incident letter/email we sent through has been logged in the file).
3. FYI - Scores obtained during SGS test - NVR 111, VR 107, Av Std score 109....is this strong score for appeal?

Now I need advise to start collecting strong evidence for the Appeal:
I have looked at the various threads & q&a posted in this forum. Which is a great start. However I am not sure about the following:
1. when is it a good time to start this process and how to go about it?
2. Currently all I have is the year 5 report (all are 5A) and will be getting the year 6 term report in Nov. What else DOCS. should I request the school for to provide at this point in time?
3. Is there a format which I can use as example to provide to the head teacher to assist with writing to aid the appeal?
4. Are there any past cases of SGS appeals that you could share with me or any parents who have gone through the same turmoil?

Looking forward to hearing from you on the above. Thanks in advance.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

You are probabaly better off getting up to date working levels nearer to the time of the appeal which will be after March 2014-if child is already level 5a - will they be doing the level 6 papers. School should be able to provide a letter with working levels and SAT predictions. Look at school reports, KS1 levels - take a look through the appeals section there is a lot of info there. Be realistic though - have appeals for the school been upheld in the past and how many? If only rarely then you are going to have an even more uphill struggle than with a school with a history of allowing a few each year.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Khullarssg wrote:3. FYI - Scores obtained during SGS test - NVR 111, VR 107, Av Std score 109....is this strong score for appeal?
Only your particular appeal panel can answer that, but usually the closer to the score required, the better!
when is it a good time to start this process and how to go about it?
Several weeks before you are due to submit your appeal, I would suggest you meet with your current headteacher to discuss the matter.
2. Currently all I have is the year 5 report (all are 5A) and will be getting the year 6 term report in Nov. What else DOCS. should I request the school for to provide at this point in time?
This point in time is probably too early.

We've already referred you to our list of suggested evidence in the Q&As.
3. Is there a format which I can use as example to provide to the head teacher to assist with writing to aid the appeal?
Bucks has a form for headteachers to complete. As far as I know, headteachers would simply write a letter for a Slough appeal.

As far as content is concerned, you will have seen the Q&As: "We have spoken to the school and they are willing to support our appeal ......... they want to know what to put in their supporting letter."
4. Are there any past cases of SGS appeals that you could share with me or any parents who have gone through the same turmoil?
I don't know whether there's anything about Slough there, but have you tried the feedback section?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also follow some of the links after "See some of the previous threads":
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
chad

Post by chad »

The consortium is known as uphill work to win an appeal but there have been successes.
You sound as if you have good academic ability evidence so you need to emphasise that the achieved mark was well below what would have been expected taking her levels into consideration, a score of 111 does not guarantee a place as the school may be oversubscribed. A problem such as you have described cannot be 'planned' for and could well have affected the performance on the day.
In the appeal you are not only addressing non qualification but also oversubscription so include the reasons why the school is the school for your child, although the main thrust of your appeal must be academic ability and the reason for under performance.