Wise to appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shiv

Wise to appeal?

Post by Shiv »

7 marks short of passing the 11+ maths paper. Gifted and talented in reading and working at levels 5b and 5c in all subjects. Always in top group in class and academically very bright. BUT, despite all that, didn't pass the Headteachers Appeal either. Head teacher very surprised my daughter didn't pass and assumes it was my daughters written paper that prevented her from being successful in the head teachers appeal.
Given the shortfall of marks and NOT passing head teachers appeal, is it still possible to win at appeal?
Etienne

Re: Wise to appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

It depends if your case is strong enough.

Have you read the Q&As?
For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Shiv

Headteacher appeal panel kent

Post by Shiv »

Having been unsuccessful in the Headteachers appeal, I have viewed the report. Unfortunately, no reason is given for my daughter not being successful. Does anyone know if there should have been a reason made clear on the report. It wasn't very helpful at all.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Hello - sorry to hear that - possibly it depends on the cohort from other schools who have appealed through heads - maybe they are all working at 5A/L6? There is lots of information on appeals on here - you need lots of evidence about high academic achievement - have you got any extenuating circumstances (in addition to academic evidence) as to why she fell short in her maths?
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

No extenuating circumstances unfortunately. My daughter told me that she did misalign a couple of questions to answers but corrected them so I guess its possible she may have done this elsewhere in the paper but without realising/correcting. She also tells me she was running out of time and felt a bit rushed to complete but did complete the paper. I'm viewing her answer sheet on the 24th and also the written paper so perhaps I'll spot a pattern which may reflect what she's said.
I was of the assumption that head teacher appeals had to give a reason for their decision but perhaps I'm wrong about that?
This is proving to be a very helpful site and much appreciate any advise. Apart from the academic evidence the head teachers appeal panel already have, there isn't much more I can add to that except perhaps my daughters KS1 levels and any progress between the test and the appeal date. I do however have very good reasons for choosing the specific school and not able to consider any other Grammar due to distance, length of journey and public transport transfers, so im only appealing to this one Grammar and see this as my daughters one and only chance at a Grammar School Education. She also has interest specific to that particular school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I was of the assumption that head teacher appeals had to give a reason for their decision but perhaps I'm wrong about that?
One would have thought so - but you don't really have any 'rights' in the matter. This is a sort of internal review, and they can make up their own rules. It is not an independent appeal.
Etienne
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Thank you Etienne.
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Can anyone tell me if the independant appeal panel will have a copy/be aware of the headteacher appeal report?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We successfully appealed despite my son failing a headteacher's appeal - it is possible. Actually, I didn't realise he had a HT appeal until the appeal panel sent us a copy of it and everything else we'd submitted for the appeal.

Also, you don't loose anything by appealing apart from a few sleepless nights worrying about it.

Ps. We're in kent.
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Thank you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now