CCHS mums please help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
talea51

CCHS mums please help

Post by talea51 »

Having completed my form I am now beset with doubts about whether I have made the right choices for my dd.

So I am looking for reassurance really. What is the pastoral care like at CCHS? Do they take incidents of bullying (like social exclusion) seriously?

Is the atmosphere of the school highly competitive? Is there a lot of competition amongst the girls?

Anything that you can say that would put my mind at rest would be helpful!
KM

Re: CCHS mums please help

Post by KM »

Dd is in Y12. We had call to rely on the pastoral care last year when she was in Y11 and it was excellent. The year head was in phone and email contact with me and liaised with all other members of staff to make sure they were aware of problems dd had. This made a huge difference to dd who said that the teacher's couldn't have been more helpful to her.

Just asked dd about bullying and she said she doesn't know of anyone having been bullied in her year. That is not to say there hasn't been any as I am sure there is in any school. She said that the Y7 head of year runs something called "The chocolate club" where she has a small group of Y7 girls in to chat and make friends (and eat chocolate!) and dd thinks they may be girls who have been struggling to settle or make friends. Dd had a bumpy patch a few years ago when two of her best friends both moved at the same time and she felt adrift, friends-wise. She was able to go and talk to staff who helped her to integrate into new groups.

Regarding how competitive the school is, I think I posted elsewhere that when Dd and her friends got their gcse results in the summer, they just asked one another if they were happy with what they got rather than comparing results which showed me how uncompetitive they are and how protective they were of one another's feelings.

We have been very happy with the school and dd has been extremely happy there.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Thanks KM for your reply, very helpful!
modesta

Post by modesta »

I have a daughter in Year 7 and I had exactly the same worries as you. However, I have nothing but positive things to say about CCHS since my daughter has started. I was concerned as she got into the school on the wait list and I was fearful that it would be really competitive and she would struggle. I know it is very early days and yes I would say work is being taught at a very fast pace. That said there seems to be an acceptance that not every one can be at the top of the class and I have had no reports of competitiveness at this stage. In her own words "I love my new school, I feel free there". The girls do seem to work hard but they also have an awful lot of fun, and my daughter has grown up in front of my eyes remarkably in just 7 weeks.
TBird

Post by TBird »

I have a question that I hope some of the current CCHS parents may be able to help me with. Once offers have been received (assuming it is good news), when is the first opportunity to revisit the school? I realise there is an open day in June but was hoping there would be an earlier invitation to those with places for Sept 2014.
thank you
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

The girls are invited to attend optional after school athletics, netball and hockey sessions for several weeks in May/June/July.
Then they attend the formal induction day in June.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now