What should I do?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Haleema

What should I do?

Post by Haleema »

My DC got 211 in tiffins this year ,any chances for admission.?
tiffinboys

Re: What should I do?

Post by tiffinboys »

I think that your DS worked pretty hard to be in the top third of all children who took Tiffin's test and this hard work and learning will stay with him. Please give him all the encouragement and support to continue hard work and this would help him in year 6 SATs and in future.

What other schools did he try? Hopefully, your area has good comps as well.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I agree with Tiffinboys but the honest answer is that it is unlikely that your son will get a place,at Tiffin with that score based on previous years cut off scores. Whereabouts do you live? There are some very good comprehensives if you are local to Kingston
Haleema

Post by Haleema »

I will go for appeal..any suggestions .?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

If you believe that there are good grounds for appeal, then do so. Lot of information is in appeals section. School will also send you appeals information in March.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Do bear in mind though that you would need extremely strong supporting academic evidence, as 211 is quite a way down from the usual cut-off of around 230, so, although I wish you the best of luck, you will need to be realistic about the possible outcome of an appeal for your son. The appeals section of this forum is excellent so do take a look as Tiffinboys says.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Haleema wrote:I will go for appeal..any suggestions .?
On what basis? 211 is a good score... I think it means he beat around 75% of the other candidates. However that also means that there are around 500 candidates with a better score chasing much fewer than 500 places.
The group taking the test is selective; only strong candidates attend. This means that getting good results elsewhere cannot be extrapolated to the result of this test; indeed on the day being in the top 10% inevitably has an element of luck since only a few answers will affect the outcome.
That being said, you have a right for appeal; but IMHO be realistic about the possible outcome and plan accordingly.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Haleema, you may also like to look at independent schools and any possibility of scholarship/bursaries. As SVE pointed, your child has shown good performance and with your encouragement, he may be successful at getting place at good indies. Also are there good comps near to you?

Hope you have looked at all the possible avenues.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

You are only likely to win an appeal if there are strong extenuating circumstances or if the school had agreed to put some special arrangements in place and failed to do so or were in some other way responsible for his scoring less than anticipated. The appeal panel would also want to see evidence of high academic achievement currently.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now