Viewing children's 11+ test papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bobthecat

Viewing children's 11+ test papers

Post by bobthecat »

Hi

I have arranged to view my daughter's 11+ test papers in advance of an appeal next year (she missed her maths by 1 mark) and I have been told that I can see her answer sheet but I cannot see the questions which are under copyright. Therefore, is there any point in my doing this? All I'm going to see is whether she actually completed the test which she tells me she did.

Any views as to whether seeing just the answer sheet will provide anything to help support an appeal?

Thanks for any comments.
frangipani

Re: Viewing children's 11+ test papers

Post by frangipani »

I would view the paper.

There is a slim possibility that an obvious mistake could have been made, ie: a mark that was not prominent enough to be picked up by the computer or where an answer was not erased properly and would therefore be marked as incorrect if the computer saw two marks rather than one.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Is she just one or two marks off passing or is it a radically different result from what was expected? Presumably as well as her answers you will see what the correct answers were so you could see if she had made a consistent error eg a page or two where she mismatched Q and As.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I think that it is worth going, not least for the manual re-mark. The staff that deal with parents viewing papers are very helpful,especially once the rush has died down :) The chances of a mistake are slim but you might be able to see a section of wrong answers that could indicate a mis match.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

We've just had our ds maths remarked. We weren't present but they were wonderfully thorough and helpful over the phone. I felt I could trust their remark to be correct.

I was hoping there could be a mismatch but the actual answers were on the answer grid, not a, b, c etc. so our ds had 'chosen' incorrect answers.

Good luck with the remark, we found the lady who dealt with us to be super helpful and on our side.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Having viewed in a previous year DS was found to have answered one question correctly but the pencil mark was slightly 'outside of the box' so the question was marked as incorrectly answered by the automated system. A manual remark deemed his score was higher on this basis and a revised score was confirmed, however KCC do not formally change the mark given since all papers were marked in the same way. For us it made no difference to the outcome since it was a paper he'd already 'passed'.

You just might get lucky and find there is an anomaly which would help in an appeal so I would of course say it would be worth taking the time do check. You never know!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I agree with comments about how lovely, patient and helpful the KCC staff are. With my son we identified that he had totally bombed on one section of the NVR (25% of the marks) and this helped us formulate our appeal as it was a question type that the ed psych identified as particularly for a dyslexic dyspraxic child like our son to work out. I didn't actually have to go to Maidstone. KCC staff looked at the marking and told us the information over the phone.
mystery

Post by mystery »

If you are not allowed to see the questions, how did you identify the nvr question types that had caused him difficulty?
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

The staff are very helpful (at least they were the twice we've been so far!) and will tell you as much as they can without actually showing you the questions. You can see the answer grids so for the maths and VR it's pretty easy to guess what sort of questions they were which can be helpful for appeal and I think they will tell you which NVR were which. If I recall correctly there will be someone in the room with the question paper and all the other various bits of information about raw scores vs standardised etcetera to help answer any questions you have.

Definitely worth getting a remark if they only missed by one question - you never know the machine readers are not perfect!

Good Luck
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I deal with the KCC ed department in my real job and have always found them really helpful. Glad to see other people sing their praises too!

:D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now