6th form dress code

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

agathachristie

6th form dress code

Post by agathachristie »

Out of interest why is it that, at least in the boys schools the 6th form dress code is more formal than the girls schools. I just recently noticed that all the 6th form boys are in smart suits and the girls just appear to be more casual.. :roll:
Guest55

Re: 6th form dress code

Post by Guest55 »

Another of the benefits of a mixed school is that ALL students are expected to be smart.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

@ guest55 is this a policy at your school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

At our school they all have to be smart. The problem is that with the boys it is easy - a suit and tie. With the girls it is more open to interpretation (and abuse!). Apparently some of the male teachers feel uncomfortable commenting on the girls' short skirts so they continue to get away with it, although they have tightened up the requirements this year.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Here both girls and boys grammars wear suits in 6th form ( or used to when my children were there)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 is in year 12 of a girls' GS which has had a "formal" dress code for the past couple of years. He seems to have got into the swing of formal(ish) jacket and trousers - they can wear any colour of shirt and ties are not compulsory - but visiting the school a few times recently, I have noticed that the girls seem to be sliding back towards what I would consider to be more "normal student attire". Personally, I have no problem with this - for a start, the schools all stress that all but a very few pupils go on to university, but most likely the only ones who will need to dress à la sixth form dress code when they leave school are those very few.

Round our way, the sixth formers at the two boys' GSs have to wear uniform; the girls' GSs have a "dress code" and the boys' RC school seems to have a sort of hybrid which includes a sixth-form tie for both boys and girls (leading to some rather strange get-ups in the female line IMHO), As far as I am aware, the comprehensives have "anything decent" policies.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Around here boys gs / comp at least the couple that invite female applicants into 6th form appear to have formal dress code for the girls. I must say I do like the smart/ formal dress code...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I actually feel it is completely pointless - you make them dress smarter than their teachers for two years, then send them off to uni where anything goes, and the (hopefully) they get a job where no-one evers wears a suit & tie, or equivalent. I work in an office in a fairly traditional field and I haven't seen a tie for a long time. I do however understand that they need to look decent. One school I know of states "extremes of fit or fashion will not be tolerated". How they interpret that, of course, is rather haphazard.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

scary mum wrote:you make them dress smarter than their teachers for two years
We are expected to dress smartly too!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:
scary mum wrote:you make them dress smarter than their teachers for two years
We are expected to dress smartly too!
I know you are, but hand on heart, do all the teachers? I know that many of the teachers I have met at my DCs' school would not fulfil the requirements set out for the 6th formers - again, easy for the men, less obvious for the female teachers, many of whom look fairly casual (and not at all inappropriate, in my view).
scary mum