Percentage for pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

avraje

Percentage for pass

Post by avraje »

Hello everyone

I know the score in Bucks for passing is 121. Can any one please tell me how many questions are asked in total and ROUGHLY how much percentage is needed for a December born child to achieve the score.

Thanks in advance.
ccl

Re: Percentage for pass

Post by ccl »

From some post on "Raw scores, remark, analysis (Bucks only)", I guess it seems to be around 60%. I've got no idea how much standardisation affects your score.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This year it was a new test with a number of sections. It is not possible to answer your question as we don't have enough raw scores available.

Next year the areas of the test might change so any answer is a guess and not reliable, sorry.
avraje

Post by avraje »

ccl wrote:From some post on "Raw scores, remark, analysis (Bucks only)", I guess it seems to be around 60%. I've got no idea how much standardisation affects your score.
60% sounds really good and achievable

Guest55 wrote:This year it was a new test with a number of sections. It is not possible to answer your question as we don't have enough raw scores available.

Next year the areas of the test might change so any answer is a guess and not reliable, sorry.
Its ok, thanks anyway :)

Are they changing the test again? :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CEM format can mean anything!
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

I know its a new test for 2013, but 60% sounds pretty low. Last year - with the old test - it was nearer 90% for younger children. I know this may be why the test was changed ("too capable of being tutored") but will log my views anyway,,,
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In other areas using CEM I understand the pass mark is often quite low.
scary mum
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

avraje wrote: 60% sounds really good and achievable
I'm not sure you can draw this conclusion unless you have somehow seen a copy of the real actual Bucks papers sat this year (which shouldn't be available). You really can't compare the scores with any other practice paper that's available from anywhere. Certainly not the same as Bond type.

And you really shouldn't work to 60% as a target for your child. Apart from the fact that there are no similar papers to practise on, next year's CEM paper could have pass mark nearer 40% or up to 80%, it will depend entirely on the difficulty of next year's paper and how the children find it and the level of the children sitting it.

Don't kid yourself - these were very tough papers and there are plenty of very bright kids already at level 5 in their SATs who didn't pass and some who came out below average compared to the bright cohort who take the test. They were very, very time pressured, most children will not have finished a lot of the test, and the content of the test is subtly hard. It's a real differentiator of bright kids. Hard to know if it hit it right or not... We'll probably know more in two years time after the current lot have completed year 7!
avraje

Post by avraje »

Sanna wrote:
avraje wrote: 60% sounds really good and achievable
I'm not sure you can draw this conclusion unless you have somehow seen a copy of the real actual Bucks papers sat this year (which shouldn't be available). You really can't compare the scores with any other practice paper that's available from anywhere. Certainly not the same as Bond type.

And you really shouldn't work to 60% as a target for your child. Apart from the fact that there are no similar papers to practise on, next year's CEM paper could have pass mark nearer 40% or up to 80%, it will depend entirely on the difficulty of next year's paper and how the children find it and the level of the children sitting it.

Don't kid yourself - these were very tough papers and there are plenty of very bright kids already at level 5 in their SATs who didn't pass and some who came out below average compared to the bright cohort who take the test. They were very, very time pressured, most children will not have finished a lot of the test, and the content of the test is subtly hard. It's a real differentiator of bright kids. Hard to know if it hit it right or not... We'll probably know more in two years time after the current lot have completed year 7!
Sorry, it wasn't a conclusion, just a general opinion. I was thinking around 90% so 60% sounded achievable . :)

Yes, I'm aware exams are tough and we can't be sure that any child will definitely pass.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

90% of what? Like everyone is saying, no one actually knows what the cem test included, nor what it will test in 2014.( except the inevitable few owners of unethically procured 2013 tests).
Children did not pass this test who were easily achieving 90% in published alternative tests at home, and were achieving level 5 sats in year 5.
Frustrating as it may seem, it is best just to help your child by ensuring they have very good English literacy and language skills, strong vocabulary and maths knowledge, and understand nvr. Slowly Increase time pressure as they work, until they are able to go along really quite speedily without getting in a pickle, or realise they have a timing problem and then teach them to relax, move on, and not get upset.

Good luck
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now