Type Z

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mjames

Type Z

Post by mjames »

Walsh Paper 4 MCQ

44 children took part in swimming gala.Rebecca came 6th.She tied with 4 other children.How many children did Rebecca beat?
Choices: 38 ;35; 34; 37; 33

Answer=34

How can this be worked out without knowing how many have tied for first to fifth?
JamesDean

Re: Type Z

Post by JamesDean »

Because if, for example, 2 children tied for second place the next child would be ranked 4th etc. So there would only ever be 5 children before her no matter where they came iyswim ... just like 11+ rankings! :)

Hope that helps - that's my understanding anyway.

JD
semb

Post by semb »

I think if there were any other ties the question would have specified. As it hasn't I would assume that Rebecca and the other 4 children at position 6 are the only ties. Therefore, 5 children beat them plus Rebecca and the other 4 = 10 children position 6 or higher. Thus Rebecca beat 34 children (44 -10)
semb

Post by semb »

Ahhh! Good point jamesdean, didn't think of that!
mjames

Post by mjames »

JamesDean wrote:Because if, for example, 2 children tied for second place the next child would be ranked 4th etc. So there would only ever be 5 children before her no matter where they came iyswim ... just like 11+ rankings! :)
Thanks to both of you.
I thought in competitions, even if there is a tie, the ordinal number wouldn't change.
For eg; in Olympics, even if there is a tie for silver, wouldn't they give a bronze for the 3rd position? Or is that bronze given for 4th position? Bit confused :(
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Although its rare for a dead heat, it does happen and then only 3 medals are given, of whatever colour. Here's a link to the 2000 summer Olympic men's 50m freestyle swimming final - 2 gold and 1 bronze awarded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_a ... _freestyle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JD
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

Does it really work like this?

In a competition if 2 children share the 2nd prize, the 4th child would get the third prize, doesn't he?
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

wildwest wrote:Does it really work like this?
In order to answer mjames' original question, I think we have to assume it does or else it is impossible! :?

JD
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

I guess... If 33 wasn't in the options then it would have been straightforward
mjames

Post by mjames »

Thanx JamesDean , for your time and patience for the explanation.....and the source!!!
I liked your 11+ ranking analogy as well.
Funnily my kids got that right, it's only me going overboard!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now