Getting w and m mixed up

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Getting w and m mixed up

Post by Tinkers »

Wasn't sure where to put this, but hopefully someone will help point me in the right direction.

DD is 11 and just started GS. Being dyslexic myself I've realised from an early age that she has several dyslexic traits. She was quite slow learning to read and a couple of her teachers have agreed at various stages. However she did overcome the initial hurdle of learning to read by the end of year 1 (and now doesn't stop) and over time her writing sort of caught up too, with help and guidance from me at home. We never bothered getting her assessed as we felt she was coping and progressing. She finished primary with level 5 in reading and writing, (6 in maths).

Even in year 5 she was still reversing letters from time to time and we finally cracked the last letter she often reversed at the beginning of year 6.

However I've recently noticed that she is getting w and m mixed up from time to time. Now this is a weird one for me, because it's not something I do or ever did. As a result I'm not sure how to help fix this one, or what impact it is going to have at school, as it looks like she has spelt a word wrong rather than got it upside down.

Ideas?
yoyo123

Re: Getting w and m mixed up

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure if it will help, but we use cards which give a letter a 'character' the children seem to latch on to Maisie Mountain Mountain as they write the letter, (which looks a bit like mountain peaks) may help her remember?

or this?
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/educatio ... ellel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems quite a common reversal
pheasantchick

Re: Getting w and m mixed up

Post by pheasantchick »

M for Mountain so the peaks go up.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now