Is this a new type of VR question?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sonasona

Is this a new type of VR question?

Post by sonasona »

Can anyone shed any light on this kind of question? In fact, I don’t think I even have the full info to write the exact question that was asked :( I was told about it but it was not explained properly so I just don’t get it!

I think it went something like this…….

In a foreign language, random letters and numbers make up a code.

If 1 car = 2BY and 2 houses = 5XY

Then what would 3 houses costs?

How much 2 cars cost?
semb

Re: Is this a new type of VR question?

Post by semb »

Hi, this question is ringing a bell but my memory is so vague this reply will probably be no help to you!
I recall reading an article in the paper (possibly the times) a few months back about entrance for one of the big public boys schools. It gave sample questions to highlight the kinds of questions asked. I remember one question was similar to the one you've written above...it was about an alien language made up of various combinations of letters and numbers. There was enough info in the question to work out the answer as I could do it. So maybe you are missing some info in your question as it was def do-able. Sorry I can't recall the school or even the paper...it could just as well have been the guardian / independent or even on BBC news....good luck, hope I haven't confused things further....
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

This sounds very like the Manchester Grammar entrance test, to me. Available on their website.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the websites.

Just waiting for someone familiar with Kendrick papers to come along :)
semb

Post by semb »

Actually, ignore my earlier post - I've found the question I was thinking of and it's not really the same as the one you're
asking about...

"Consider the following sentences in Jangli (a made-up language) with their English translation:

Waldan razu - I am a writer; Had waldan razu - I am the writer.

Write down how you express the following in Jangli - the."

Clearly my memory is not what it was....
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Nothing like that on Kendrick this year (according to my source :wink: ), if that was the implication?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I can't remember seeing anything like this.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I've heard of stuff like this - verbal reasoning. There's something like it in Walsh or Daughtrey can't remember which.

Is this now the question word for word as it seems slightly illogical in its construction?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

mystery wrote:Is this now the question word for word as it seems slightly illogical in its construction?
No, i'm afraid its not the exact question. Its all I could glean from my informant :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes questions like this definitely exist in some of the vr practice books and there is an independent school uses a bit of this. It just requires a bit of logic I think - it is supposed also to show language learning aptitude but I am not convinced by that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now