Guildford High School (for girls)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

capsulemum

Guildford High School (for girls)

Post by capsulemum »

Hi there,

Has anyone had expeirence with Guildford High School (for girls)? I'm thinking about sending my DD to Y7 in 2014. Anyone has any idea about entrance exam (according to the school's website, Maths and English will be tested.)? How is school like?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Casulemum
WOTMum

Re: Guildford High School (for girls)

Post by WOTMum »

It's a shame you've had no replies yet, but from what I understand, GHS is very well thought of in the local area, and is considered on a par with schools such as Lady Eleanor Holles in Hampton SW London and St Catherine's also in Guildford. We are in the Walton/Weybridge area of North Surrey and both of these areas is open to us when looking at schools. This year, it will be the most popular destination for girls from my DD's year group (maybe as many as 8?) whose parents have opted for the independent sector, and over 20% from this school do. Although getting in is tough, standards are high and the interview process quite rigorous, from what I hear it is a very open, friendly and welcoming environment in comparison to LEH, which is usually another top contender for local girls. For us GHS wasn't in the running as I felt it was just that little bit too far to be travelling, however, my daughter was lucky enough to secure a place at Tiffin Girls School in Kingston, and although I had some more local independents as back ups, the State route fits us better, and we are also very lucky with the standard of our local comps. Good luck with whatever you choose for your DD.
capsulemum

Post by capsulemum »

Hi WOTMum,

Thank you so much for your information. Your daughter is ver clever to get a place at Tiffin. Actually Guildford is quite far away from my work in Sutton but it is kind of temptation to know more about GHS as the school is well ranked in league tables.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Casulemum
NorthSouthMum

Post by NorthSouthMum »

Hello Capsule Mum

It is indeed very well thought of - top school in the county for girls etc - but choose for your daughter not for yourself, or by the school's reputation. #

My experience is that the place is VERY competitive in all aspects. The attitude seems to be "Elbows out girls and get to the top, however much you have to stand on other people's fingers along the way". There is a lot of focus on being the best. There is a lot of testing and repeat testing if a mid-term score is less X%. Judgement of your daughter' s progress will be by how many "Excellent" grades she gets, not by whether or not she is happy. Don't expect a caring pastoral attitude in Year 7, in particular and there is really no relationship between staff and parents.

If your daughter is sporting, be prepared for early starts. Most girls will be on a 7am train to get to the sports centre and ready to play by 7.45. It's then a long time til break at about 11.45 and lunch doesn't happen til 1.50. Music is also very competitive - you won't get a music scholarship unless you are well above distinction at grade 6 or above at the age of 11 and therefore you also won't get into the orchestra or chamber choir. There isn't really much time allowed for doing something sporty or music if you are not gold standard at it.

It probably says it all that the Head's speech at the Annual Prizegiving was all about how fabulous and unbeatable GHS girls are (they brought every single sporting trophy back with them) and the guest speaker's memorable line was that "Shoes really do matter".

My advice would be to look around other schools and talk to different parents before you decide. The marketing is great - the experience hasn't lived up to it.
capsulemum

Post by capsulemum »

Hi NorthSouthMum,

Thank you very much for your message which is very helpful. I'm very pleased to hear the inside information like this. You are right that we should look around other schools as well before making decision.

I'm considering other three schools which are Lady Eleanor, JAGS and Wimbledon High. Have you happened to have any information on any of these three schools?

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

capsulemum
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

I think your gut reaction to a place is pretty powerful and attending open days and asking questions about the areas that are important to you of both girls and staff is essential.

I have spoken to a number of parents of girls at LEH...some hate it and have taken their daughters out, while others feel it is brilliant for their daughter. I would think the same is true of many of the schools of this calibre. I have two daughters at Wimbledon High and cannot recommend it highly enough. They are very different girls, but I feel it offers great support for each of their individual needs and has endless outlets for their passions!

Good luck in the decision process.
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

For what it's worth, DD attends LEH and loves it. I went to WHS and although lovely it seems slightly less academic now than when I went there.

DD feedback on Guildford from playing them at various matches was that the parents were fiercely competitive. I would say however that previous advice is sound as it is always better to follow your instincts when deciding on the right school for your child.
Lunar Eclipse

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

NorthSouthMum wrote:The attitude seems to be "Elbows out girls and get to the top, however much you have to stand on other people's fingers along the way".

There is a lot of testing and repeat testing if a mid-term score is less X%.

Judgement of your daughter' s progress will be by how many "Excellent" grades she gets, not by whether or not she is happy.
I am a GHS parent (Y9) and interestingly this is the opposite of my experience. My daughter feels supported by her teachers and peers, only last week she told me that 'we're not competitive, we're kind and help each other.' I've never heard of repeat testing.

Admittedly my daughter is bright and making good progress. Most importantly, she is very happy at the school, has some lovely friends, is making the most of the opportunities available and feels "accepted for who she is."

DD2 is even brighter (IQ>140) & has an offer to join in September, but we are considering other options because we're not sure she'd love it in the same way. It's certainly not for everyone, but an excellent school for the right child.
11+Rules

Re: Guildford High School 11+Exams

Post by 11+Rules »

Please can anyone provide tips on the Guildford Maths and English exams at 11+? How difficult is the English txt in the comprehension section of the paper?
vickyconfused

Post by vickyconfused »

Check GHS website. You may find that the deadline for entry has already gone. I missed at least two schools this way!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now