RGS vs DR Challoners

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

new

RGS vs DR Challoners

Post by new »

I wondered if anyone has had children in either or both of these schools to give a feedback on how the teaching and school compare? My son is both academic and sporty, and I am undecided between these two schools. Any helpful insight would be useful.
hugh

Post by hugh »

Are you planning to move near one of them?

I don't think anywhere is in catchment for both, and certainly Dr Challoner's doesn't always have room for all those who live IN catchment, so you may be hard pushed to find anyone on this forum who has direct experience of both.

We have a very bright, nerdy and unsporty son who is very happy at Challoner's in year 9. Their sports teams are good and quite high profile, but those who are not interested don't feel sidelined. In fact he dislikes games/PE less at Challoner's than at his previous school, which is high praise of the school. Academically, since the end of year 7, he has been pushed to a suitable degree - or suitable for him. Whether others find it too pressured, I don't know.

I can't tell you anything about RGS though.
new

Post by new »

There is the Chalfont/Gerrad Cross area which is in the catchment for both. As we are moving into the area, we are in a position to be near to school of choice. Do they place them in ability sets from the start?
hugh

Post by hugh »

Even so, be careful. The GX/Denham area is the bit of Challoner's catchment that doesn't always get in (because it's furthest from the school).
hugh

Post by hugh »

Personally, I'd play safe by picking one of the schools before you move (hence your post, I realise) and moving close to it. Little Chalfont is pretty safe for Challoner's, and St Peter probably is too, but I wouldn't want to risk St Giles. I can't comment on RGS allocations.

Another option, especially with the housing market fairly quiet, is to rent for a year (what we did). You can live well within the catchment of your chosen school, and if the house isn't ideal, it doesn't matter as it's only temporary. Then, once you know which school your son is going to, you can buy again, with the bonus of effectively being cash buyers with no chain behind you.
hugh

Post by hugh »

Oops. Sorry to post 3 in a row, but I've just noticed your final question.

At Challoner's they don't put them in sets for the first couple of years, on the basis they've all been selected on academic criteria anyway and having all their lessons with the same group (who are also their house) helps them make friends and bond better, which is a fair consideration if moving from a school of less than 200 to one of ~1280. That said, my son and a couple of others in his class were regularly given extension work in maths from Christmas of year 7. From year 9 they are put in one of three levels for maths and sciences, i.e. if you're in the top set for one, you're in the top set for all.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Now, Hugh if you were REGISTERED, you could edit/add to your posts...

Its completely confidential. [ nothing like hinting, I know Sally-Anne has already tried recruiting you, but! ]

Patricia
hugh

Post by hugh »

I'm not the joining kind! :wink:
patricia

Post by patricia »

There is a first time for everything...
guest6

Post by guest6 »

Surely Chalfont St Giles is nearer DCGS than St Peter.

Agree that GX would be dodgy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now