General Resources for 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
magwich2

General Resources for 11+

Post by magwich2 »

We have just all been showing solidarity with DD1 who has to pass the skills tests in numeracy and literacy in order to apply for PGCE courses and they are indeed a little tricky in places. It did dawn on me though that they make difficult but good general practice for 11+ exams. You can find the practice papers on the internet easily by searching for QTS skills tests
push-pull-mum

Re: General Resources for 11+

Post by push-pull-mum »

magwich2 wrote:We have just all been showing solidarity with DD1 who has to pass the skills tests in numeracy and literacy in order to apply for PGCE courses and they are indeed a little tricky in places. It did dawn on me though that they make difficult but good general practice for 11+ exams. You can find the practice papers on the internet easily by searching for QTS skills tests
Anyone else vaguely worried by the idea that a graduate teacher doesn't actually have to be "smarter than a 10 year old?"
Amber

Post by Amber »

push-pull-mum wrote:Anyone else vaguely worried by the idea that a graduate teacher doesn't actually have to be "smarter than a 10 year old?"
No more than by the general state of ITE in this country, no. Which is not the fault of those undertaking it. Jumping through VR hoops does not make a ten year old smart. Debate in Parliament on Qualified Teachers last week if you caught it - should teachers be qualified or working towards a qualification to be employed in the state sector? You would be surprised at how the Government is trying to get out of this one!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I have looked online at the practice tests in basic literacy and numeracy for entrants to teaching. It is very simple I feel. It does concern me that I see recent entrants to teaching at my children's primary whose spelling, punctuation and grammar is not great and who have passed this test. The bar could be higher.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It astonishes me how many teachers, history and maths are recent examples, use the wrong yours and theirs and also fail to spot when the wrong one is being used when marking student's books. These tests should be at a much higher level. Why can't these things just be learnt like times tables? Why is it acceptable not to be able to reach these standards in English? We would be outraged at teachers not being able to multiply single digit numbers so why do we lower the bar for English? There are lots of posts on this forum that include the wrong yours and theirs but everyone seems to be able to add up! Will English levels ever get better? Basic spelling and punctuation seems to be getting worse and with teachers who cannot do it themselves how are they going to be able to recognise the mistakes of their students? An essential part of the test should be correcting these mistakes. If I was a Head I would give each prospective teacher some books to mark and make sure they were able to recognise and correct these basic errors. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:I have looked online at the practice tests in basic literacy and numeracy for entrants to teaching. It is very simple I feel. It does concern me that I see recent entrants to teaching at my children's primary whose spelling, punctuation and grammar is not great and who have passed this test. The bar could be higher.
Not confined to recent graduates - DS2 (year 6) told me one day that one of the cover teachers who has been at the school for years refused to believe him when he pointed out that there was a first "l" in "vulnerable" :roll:
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I have written evidence that one of ds1's teachers "corrected" his spelling of mouldy to moldy!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Okanagan wrote:I have written evidence that one of ds1's teachers "corrected" his spelling of mouldy to moldy!

Was he/she an American, or did they simply read too much American literature? I bought some "mold" killer the other day to tackle the bathroom window, it was imported but not from USA. Sadly I did check on google to see if the spelling is now acceptable, it's not, that is why this particular word error is fresh in my mind.

We all have momentary lapses, I tried to get away with the word fein (feign) on the scrabble board a few days ago, I realised just as my 10 year old started to frown, I put it down to the overwhelming need to try and cheat at scrabble when your children are beating you. :oops:

DG...please don't make us super paranoid about our posts; auto correct, tiny keyboards, generally accepted disregard for capital letters and punctuation as we balance coffee cups and samosas as we type, and complete over use of exclamation marks and ellipses, are what makes these threads so passionate and so much fun. Just as long as people do not let there children or your's see!!!!!!!!!!!!????????........ :lol:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I blame autocorrect for my errors.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Usually ignorance in my case. Occasionally carelessness.