Boys' grammar catchments from Tonbridge area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadHatter

Boys' grammar catchments from Tonbridge area

Post by MadHatter »

Looking for advice on boys' grammar school catchments from Tonbridge north (towards Shipbourne) or northeast (towards Hadlow) prior to house hunting. Assuming our DS passes his 11+ but without a super-selective score, I gather this area is out of the priority catchment area for TWGSB but within overall catchment for the school. In practice would a boy living here have got a place at TWGSB in the last few years? And if TWGSB is oversubscribed would boys be allocated to Oakwood Park from here? Or is this the kind of area where boys who have passed the 11 plus can find themselves without a grammar place? Presumably the proposed grammar annexe at Sevenoaks would also have an impact on boys' places (we're looking a couple of years ahead) - does anyone know if the proposed catchment of the annexe would reach to Tonbridge?

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.
Kentishmaid

Re: Boys' grammar catchments from Tonbridge area

Post by Kentishmaid »

Hi Madhatter,

Either Hadlow or Shipbourne should get you TWBG, although if it is a very populated year you might have to wait for the second round - however all the Hadlow boys I know got in on March 3rd. ( I don't know any from Shipbourne!).
Oakwood Park is now pass and distance, so Hadlow might well get a place there, depending on numbers applying, Shipbourne is probably a bit further away, but I am not sure if they measure by road or as the crow flies. The Sevenoaks catchment may not reach out to Hadlow, but will no doubt ease pressure on TWBG and Oakwood.
MadHatter

Re: Boys' grammar catchments from Tonbridge area

Post by MadHatter »

Thanks Kentishmaid, that's great info. I know it can be tricky in West Kent so I'm really concerned we don't land ourselves in a grammar 'black hole' but it sounds as though we should be fairly safe. I'll check directly with the schools too before we commit but it's good to know we're not barking up the wrong tree to start with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now