Good things about Tiffin Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ixora2003

Good things about Tiffin Boys

Post by ixora2003 »

Hi,

I am relatively new to the forum and have benefited tremendously from the enormous bank of advice available here.

Since submitting the CAF, I have been having sleepless nights as to whether the school we put as our first choice is the right one.
Ds sat/will sit the Sutton and Tiffin entrance exams. I personally feel that the four schools are equally excellent however, we put Tiffin as our first choice as we are much closer, distance wise; Ds is happy and just hopes he gets in one of the schools.

The reason for this sudden concern is the recent post I found on another forum about Tiffin, a parent was berating the school, implying that overtutored boys who managed to get in, struggle to cope further on, hence the reason for the recent decline in GCSE and A levels results, they also declared that since the change in headteachers a few years ago, the school has been going downhill.

I would be really grateful to those parents who already have their Dc there (hopefully they are still present on the forum), to enlighten us on 'life at Tiffin Boys'- pastoral care,homework policy, Did their Ds adapt and make friends easily?

Thank you for your input.
Peridot

Re: Good things about Tiffin Boys

Post by Peridot »

Unfortunately there are definitely some over-tutored boys who get in and can't cope, but this has not affected my son who is now in year 10 and very happy and fulfilled at school. The pace of work is very fast in school so they work hard, and they are not overburdened with homework because of this. There are excellent extra-curricular opportunities for those who care to pursue them, and some very caring and committed teachers. Their Classics department for example is second to none. My own opinion of the head is that she is excellent.

There is another thread on this topic somewhere so worth doing a search!
ixora2003

Post by ixora2003 »

I am going to look for the thread.

Many thanks for your comments.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It's called something like: Tiffin Boys' - what's the school like? Sorry haven't worked out how to post a link.
Should also mention the opportunity to do rowing as an alternative to rugby from year 9. They are one of only something like 5 state schools in the country that compete in regattas etc so my son feels very lucky (he hates rugby!). They also all do cooking in year 8, which is a well-received recent innovation. Great trips abroad on offer (Pompeii, Iceland, rugby and choir tours, art and history trips abroad, skiing etc). Lots of competitive sport.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

ixora2003 wrote:Since submitting the CAF, I have been having sleepless nights as to whether the school we put as our first choice is the right one.
Firstly, what did he score? Is he in the 'almost' definite cataegory? i.e score >= 228 ?
Secondly, stop worrying! It's a great school.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

For an able child, Tiffin is a wonderful school. Others also get helped along, and all have to work hard. No one can afford to sit on their laurels i.e. entrance test scores.
ixora2003

Post by ixora2003 »

Thank you all; I get a really positive feeling about the school when I read your uplifting comments about Tiffin.
Ds should be ok ( I hope!) ; he scored 245.

My mind is now partially at rest; will have to wait for March to be totally at peace though!!!!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

ixora2003 wrote:he scored 245.
Excellent. Safely in. Within the top-50 of candidates probably.
ixora2003 wrote:My mind is now partially at rest; will have to wait for March to be totally at peace though!!!!
Relax! You are done!
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
MSC

Post by MSC »

If I may add a little assurance, my neighbour's son is thriving in TB and they are very happy. One thing for sure, I see him playing less in the back garden as he used to before Tiffin Boys and I always see him studying in his room overlooking the garden!! :-) I came to know a few more parents who are very pleased with their TB choice. You shouldn't worry at all.
Last edited by MSC on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
Joamit

Post by Joamit »

I live in Luton and would like my son to take TB entrance for 2015 admission.Does catchment area matter?
Any tuition fes for Tiffin Boys school?
I would appreciate if someone could shed light on it.
Thanks
Jo
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now