Present ideas for French exchange family

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pixiequeen

Present ideas for French exchange family

Post by pixiequeen »

Any ideas much appreciated - DD1 goes on a French exchange on Thurs and I need to buy a present for her to take for her French family. I thought about buying a selection of typically old fashioned English sweets for her to give her exchange partner and her siblings, but can't think what to buy for the parents.

What have other people given?

All ideas appreciated - I need to get something this weekend really.

Pixiequeen
southbucks3

Re: Present ideas for French exchange family

Post by southbucks3 »

Find your nearest national trust establishment and hit their shop.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

A lovely caddy of English breakfast tea :)
Always used to go exchanges armed with a packet of Tetley tea bags - mainly so I could drink it myself :lol:

JD
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Maybe make up a little hamper yourself of typical English goodies?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Last year for the German exchange we bought a 'coffee table' book with pictures of our local town. Apparently this went down very well, with the only disadvantage being that on the first night DD was asked to go through it and talk about the pictures with the family. Might be a good idea to practise saying 'This is my local Costa Coffee' in French...!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We sent dd with a small gift basket from Betty's (think tea, jam and biscuits) and a book on Harrogate (history and buildings) which they greatly admired, apparently.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Warks mum wrote:Last year for the German exchange we bought a 'coffee table' book with pictures of our local town. Apparently this went down very well, with the only disadvantage being that on the first night DD was asked to go through it and talk about the pictures with the family. Might be a good idea to practise saying 'This is my local Costa Coffee' in French...!
How about a coffee table book about coffee tables (that folds into a miniature coffee table...)? 8)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tea towel. It's light.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I found the presents I'd bought, for DD's first exchange, sometime later hidden in DD's room - "because they were lame!" The non-perishables and replacement local delicacies were sent back with the exchange student when she visited. I was so embarrassed - it looked like we'd sent nothing.

I think the ideas above are typical - we also sent rock, because we live near the coast.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

When DS went on a French exchange last year we went the consumables route and sent Twinings tea in a pretty caddy and Green and Blacks chocolate (English, we thought); a packet of Welsh cakes (obviously); and shortbread (Scottish). In return he came back with a lovely book about French chateaux and some posh French biscuits. All happy.