NVR technique books?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

NVR technique books?

Post by Manana »

NVR has recently been added to the exams in our area and I'm trying to get my head around them! Is there a technique book (like the IPS VR one which was v good?)

Any advice for a good starter book would be v much appreciated!
leanmeamum

Re: NVR technique books?

Post by leanmeamum »

The CGP books are good at explaining the different techniques needed to solve the NVR questions. They are available on this website over here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... 10-11.html

You can choose the most age appropriate one but 9-10 and 10-11 are both good

The most important thing to remember when doing NVR is patience, concentration and attention to detail.
pof4

Post by pof4 »

Hi Manana,

The GL assessment guide for NVR is very good (well I think so)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... oning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hth
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I like that book. Interestingly, it only outlines 8 different question types. These are:

Finding similarities and differences:
Find the odd one out
Find the diagram like the first two
Find the diagram like the first three

Completing diagrams:
Complete the series
Complete the grid
Complete the pair

Cracking codes:
Crack the vertical code
Crack the horizontal code

So presumably the 8 GL practice papers just cover these same 8 types - so there will be a lot of practice available on these 8 question types.

Do other publishers have different question types in their practice material or does everyone "copy" these GL question types?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Athey and Alpha have different types in their practise papers. There is also a 3D NVR book by First past the post
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thank you very much for those tips.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

the GL book is really good, as mystery has said, the main types can be grouped into 3 key groups and then require a similar approach, you often find if a DC struggles with one type, they struggle with the other types which require a similar approach, so it is a case of nailing technique and it comes together, then practice. Also beware nets, not all areas use them, so check before you waste time on something. CGP is good at practising specific things like rotation etc too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now