stage 2 exams for Tiffin Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reshma

stage 2 exams for Tiffin Girls

Post by reshma »

Hi

does anyone know roughly what format the stage 2 exams for Tiffins Girls are like.

is English paper multiple choice?

do they get a choice in creative writing topics or is it just one option?

does it have more grammar or more comprehension?

Thanks in advance.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: stage 2 exams for Tiffin Girls

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

AFAIK It's written answer not multi-guess. One topic. Subject to change.
Part 2 is by Invitation only... the invites are in the post.
Animis opibusque parati
reshma

Post by reshma »

thanks.

anxious about the results. I guess i'm optimistic so researching early.
parismumdad

Post by parismumdad »

Hi,
My daughter has got an invitation for stage 2.
I would highly appreciate if any of you can kindly provide feedback on the last year exam format.
capries

Post by capries »

We haven't received any reply yet.

Can someone advise on stage 2 format pls.

Will it include comprehension as well. On website, it says maths, reading and writing.

If I suppose writing means essay writing so what reading means? How long will it all take.

Will there be break between two tests or not.

Thanks .
deepika29

Post by deepika29 »

HI. My DD has also cleared first stage. Like other parent I am also confused about what to revise her. Any guidance will be highly appreciated
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

For those interested there are threads on stage 2, quite a lot of info
It is unfortunate a new thread was started rather than a reply to the old one

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=29876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=29095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are other threads with more info, but you need to go back about 7-15 pages
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@reshma, @deepika

I don't know much about TGS exams, but I will tell you as much as I know from speaking to other parents at our primary school after the last year's test.

1. English Reading was test in comprehension. last year, standard type, 30 questions.
2. English Writing was based on a picture to be described. It could be different this year.

If your DDs has taken Nonsuch exam, she would have prepared for the Comprehension part. On the writing side, there are many varying style of writing and any type may come up. So be prepared for that. Generally, good level 5 writing would be enough, but pay attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation, taking care of usual matters like neat and clear/legible writing.

Maths is generally strong level 5 but covering whole KS2 syllabus - some part may not have been done in school yet. Two or three thinking type questions were there. Other than that, my feed back was that the paper was simple. So pay attention to questions. Read properly and do carefully. Some marks are lost by simple (silly) errors - addition/subtraction mistakes done in haste. In maths, every mark is important as some girls would be scoring 100% or nearly 100%. Practice past exam papers from independent schools - very helpful. Good Luck and all the best.

Perhaps Snowdaddy and other TGS parents could add more information.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Does anyone know the timings for the stage 2 test? 30 mins per section?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

tiffinboys wrote:@reshma, @deepika

I don't know much about TGS exams, but I will tell you as much as I know from speaking to other parents at our primary school after the last year's test.

1. English Reading was test in comprehension. last year, standard type, 30 questions.
2. English Writing was based on a picture to be described. It could be different this year.

If your DDs has taken Nonsuch exam, she would have prepared for the Comprehension part. On the writing side, there are many varying style of writing and any type may come up. So be prepared for that. Generally, good level 5 writing would be enough, but pay attention to spelling, grammar and punctuation, taking care of usual matters like neat and clear/legible writing.

Maths is generally strong level 5 but covering whole KS2 syllabus - some part may not have been done in school yet. Two or three thinking type questions were there. Other than that, my feed back was that the paper was simple. So pay attention to questions. Read properly and do carefully. Some marks are lost by simple (silly) errors - addition/subtraction mistakes done in haste. In maths, every mark is important as some girls would be scoring 100% or nearly 100%. Practice past exam papers from independent schools - very helpful. Good Luck and all the best.

Perhaps Snowdaddy and other TGS parents could add more information.
I think Tiffinboys has covered virtually everything.
The only things I can add (and this is talking to parents) is that time seemed to be a problem for some in the English if they wandered a bit off topic. The marking is done by staff more used to doing KS3, 4 or 5 so unlike primary school where teachers tend to give charitable marks for half relevant attempts, weak semi-relevant answers won't pick up many points. In writing, not setting the scene and using good descriptive phases (properly punctuated) when describing is an easy way to drop marks. Irrelevant parts to answers just waste time as they wont get marks. Effort wont gain marks if it doesn't answer the question.

Another thing to watch is any clues to marking, if a question is 2 marks then you need to have two comments (in maths possibly 2 stages to the answer).

Also remember that many will not have been taught exam technique (tends to happen after Easter prior to KS2 exams) but will be needed as the best candidates will be getting high level 5 or even level 6 and ultimately it is a competition against other candidates as pass mark can vary.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now