Parents evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PROBSNAIVE

Parents evening

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Hi all. I have a quick question. It is my Year 4 dd's parents evening this week. I don't have any issues with her progress at all, however she has mentioned that she feels she is ignored a bit by her teacher. She says that the teacher never takes her idea on board, or chooses her for activities etc. I realise that this might not be entirely accurate version of events and there may be other reasons for this, but it seems to be affecting her and she is saying school is 'making her feel stressed'. How do I approach this with the teacher in a tactful rather than accusatory way? Help please!
modernista

Re: Parents evening

Post by modernista »

Probsnaive,

Has you DD come from a small, caring primary school environment? You should talk to the teachers about how she can participate more and then work towards it e.g taking part in drama club to get a part in play etc. Talk about real specifics- wish to participate in projects etc before talking about negative aspects of feeling left out etc.

Good luck, hope your DD feels happier.
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Thank you Modernista. You're right talking about the positives rather than negatives.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ask about how she is in class. Does she answer questions? Does she ask questions?

The teacher is probably unaware ...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:The teacher is probably unaware ...
The teacher may even be unaware of who she is! It has been known, I'm afraid. :roll:

I suggest that you ask questions in the first instance: "Does she participate in class discussions?" "Does she put her hand up to answer questions?" "Does she volunteer for activities/tasks when you put them forward?"

If you sense a certain amount of squirming after a few questions, I think you would then be justified in pointing out that she does want to do those things, but "doesn't feel that she always has the opportunity".
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

Thanks Guest 55 and Sally Anne for your suggestions. She gets on really well with the TA and talks about the things she does with her. It just seems to be a problem with the class teacher, but you're right the teacher probably isn't aware that there is an issue. My daughter is probably middle of the class so I can see she could get lost in a class of 30.